Setting Goals To Buy Equipment

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by moxnix9, Aug 28, 2002.

1. How many of you set goals for your playing, then accomplish those goals, and then reward yourself by buying some equipment? I plan to. Once I am 3 months into taking bass lessons I plan to buy one or more effects. Not to mention new strings.:rolleyes: And after a long time of taking lessons, a new bass. Once I hear from some experienced musicans or bassists, an Ampeg rig. Also, when my dad stops thinking that our Boss 8-track mixer is the best, I'll buy myself a computer recording program. So of course I'm saving up money. Just curious.
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    It sounds like a good idea, but I think you should base your merit system on the quality of your playing rather than the quantity of lesson you've taken. A person who took ten lessons and practiced dilligently will go further than someone who took twenty lessons and didn't practice at all.

Also, since it is your money to spend, I'm not going to tell you what to get as a reward, but I'd advise you not to focus on effects too much. Basslines are played dry 90% of the time and you might not get as much out of your investment than if you held on to that money and got something that would actually make you a better player (more lessons, fr'instance, or some concert tickets. It's amazing what watching a live performance can inspire you.)

That's my 1/25 of a half dollar.
  3. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    yeah, my friend and I started playing at the same time, i took one lesson, and he's been taking ever since. I'm a better player than him because i got into a band, hung around guitarist and bassist. He has some degree of mucical training and i dont. But I'm still better. I know i'm not great by any means. But my point is that your proggression is determined by your determination.
  4. Thanks guys. I understand everything you're both saying. I'm not really focusing on effects as much as I want an EQ pedal. I feel the same as you ARA punk. I took two lessons, hated them both, played in a band and had more fun and learning experience. It's just that I want to learn theory really bad and I need teacher to do that. Luckily my dad's bass playing skills didn't skip a generation, either. Advantage for me. Well thanks a lot to both you guys. My perspective has changed now.:)