Setting Hartke B90 EQ for slap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by craptastic, Jul 25, 2002.

1. I'm trying to get a good slap tone out of my admittedly pathetic Squier Affinity P-Bass, and I've actually managed to get halfway there with some other amps. It's harder to achieve that same tone with my Hartke though, and I believe this is largely due to the cumbersome Shape control. In case you're not familiar with it, you select a frequency between about 100 and 1000hz, and it puts a
    -20dB notch at that frequency. This to me seems rather extreme, and I can't turn it off of negate it with the "standard" Treble, Mid, Bass controls. Any advice?
  2. When i had my B90 i found the shape control really useful, i'd get a sound using that, then fine tune it using the EQ, and if needed fine tune it even more with the EQ on my bass. I'd be inclined to believe that the lack of slap funkyness is down to the Bass more then the amp, however you have to remember that a 15" speaker is not the best size for a decent pop sound.

good luck

3. +1
  4. bound'n'blocked

Jan 25, 2010
    I've got one of those too and I like the shape control. Very handy.

Anybody got an idea how many ohms that speaker is?

5. will33

May 22, 2006
    20db is extreme but try setting around 800-1000hz, that's the nasal/honk/gank zone. It's not the bass, I know guys who can slap the hell out of a P although I'm not one of them.