Setting intonation for Peterson "Sweetened" tunings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Daniel Evan R, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Hey eveyone, I've got a Peterson Strobostomp HD arriving today and I'm excited to get all my instruments' intonation set more accurately, as I've just been using a cheap, decades old Korg tuner I've had since I first started playing. I'm planing to use the "sweetened" EADG tuning for my basses but I'm not sure if I should set the intonation of my instruments with the "sweetened" setting or against the standard default EADG tuning temperament. Any advice would be very appreciated!

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I will start by saying I am a sceptic of sweetened tunings. By there nature they only sweeten at best three keys. On the others they are neutral or worse. If you want to play sweetened intonation play a fretless. Ok rant over. I would intonate using the system you plan to tune to.

3. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    How to set intonation when using a 'sweetened' system should be, and probably is, explained by the tuner manufacturer somewhere in official documentation. That is more reliable than asking here.

4. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Set the intonation with the equal temperament. Then use the sweetened tuning.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Sweetened tuning is a waste of time on a bass or guitar. By its very nature, tuning is not going to be exactly on the money at all times, and IMHO it doesn't matter as long as the intonation is good and the bass is tuned to itself.

BritFunk, RSBBass and Vinny_G like this.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    "BAS is a proprietary bass setting useful for percussive playing and when playing
    along with a stretch-tuned keyboard (acoustic piano or other string or bar-struck
    keyboard). For best results, use the default EQU temperament for intonation (string
    length setting), then tune open strings using BAS..."

...from the manual for my older Petersen VSII.

Riis

7. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    I'm typing this at work - or should I say "place of employment" since I don't really "work" - so I don't have it in front of me; but, yeah; this sounds pretty much like the "sweetened tuning" section of the thick owner's manual for my Peterson Strobo Flip tuner. I do remember reading all the way through this section, only to realize that "sweetened tuning" is for everything But a bass or an electric guitar. So ever since then, I just tune and intonate my basses and guitars "normally", and reserve that other stuff for the remote chance I ever buy a harpsichord - or something...:whistle:

Zooberwerx and JimmyM like this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021