Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Setting intonation - problem!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tragicmagic, Jan 11, 2003.

1. I recently got a G&L ASAT thinline. I love the sound and playability, but today I tried adjusting the intonation....

I'm having trouble setting the intonation on the G string - the bolt that holds the saddle is too short.
    The neck is nearly straight, slight relief - action is set nicely.

Open/ 12th fret harmonic is perfectly on G, the 12th fret is showing up flat on my tuner. I shortened the scale (loosened the saddle bolt) as much as I could without the saddle falling out, and fretting the string on 12 is still slightly flat.

In order to correct this, should I go to a thicker string gauge, or a thinner one?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Can't you find a longer screw ?
    Or, in last term, move the bridge toward the neck ?

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Changing the screw to a longer one is only covering up a problem by introducing a new problem.

The screw hasn't magically shortened itself.

Are the rest of the strings pretty much in the middle of thier adjustment range?

I would first change the string. Odds are good that that is the problem since that is the one parameter that constantly changes as the string ages.

If you are using a matched set of strings, you shouldn't have to use a thicker or thinner string for just the G string.

Does your ear AND the tuner idicate a problem?

Tuners can, and do, go out of calibration. Try another tuner

Someone else (I can't remember who) described pretty much the same problem in a post several weeks ago on TB.

If I remember correctly, Hambone was involved with the problem. Maybe HB can shed some light on your problem.

Pkr2

4. The rest of the strings are actually towards the end of their adjustment range, but there's plenty of real estate on the bridge itself - I'd have plenty of room to move the saddle towards the nut if only the bolt would allow.

The strings are the ones that came with the bass, which I bought about 2 weeks ago.

longer bolts would be great if I could find them. It seems that the saddles should be able to adjust more than that.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i would change the strings first...could it be that maybe the bridge was mispositioned at the factory?

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    If all the strings are at, or near, the end of thier adjustment range it probably means that the bridge was installed in the wrong position.

If a new set of strings doesn't correct the prob I would consider moving the bridge.

A bridge that is mounted in the wrong position would be pretty rare on a production instrument. Not impossible, but rare.

Good luck and please let us know what the resolution to the prob ends up being.

Pkr2

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you only bought it 2 weeks ago, I'd say the guy who assembled the bridge made a mistake.
    Contact G&L.