setting my nine band EQ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PUNXBASS, Jun 2, 2005.

Apr 23, 2005
    hey yall,
    ive been running the same settings on my EQ for awile now, and im lookin for a change. i play punk rock like lagwagon,pennywise,etc etc and im looking for a punchy tone that those bassist have. i have the Ampeg b4r head and an Ampeg 410 cab. Its got bass treble and ultra mid wich i have set to my likings but the 9 band j sut needs an update. like i said im lookin for a punch sound as that of Fat Mike and Jay Bentley and Ken KAsey so on so on.

ive got the following

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Expiriment. Make a frowny face with the EQ (boosted mids), this give lots of punch and projection.

Also cutting is better than boosting. Start flat and cut in small increments until you get where you want to be. Then right everything down, you'll be amazed how easily those little sliders move all by themselves when you are setting up on a dark stage, and you don't want to spend half your set trying to dial things in.

Apr 23, 2005
    thakns, what do u mean by cut?
  4. he means moving the sliders down. this will cut the range you select by a certain number of decibels.
  5. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Cut 33Hz all the way. You'll get more headroom and volume this way - the Ampeg 4x10 can't reproduce the 33Hz anyway (maybe a PR will, but the rest won't).

Leave everything else flat and work from there.

Apr 23, 2005 do i go about cutting the 33hz? ive had a sound crew for the past 3 years lol now i left that band and im in another and need a hand remembering everything back whenii rodeyed.
  7. boost the middle section so that it goes all the way to the top, cut the bass a little bitty and keep the treble on the level

And the inbetweens go into making a smooth line :)

Ive only got a 7band (SVT-II) but play mainly punk and hardcore (the real stuff, that is punk related!) , ill take a picture after work and post it so you can see what im trying to explain :)

Apr 23, 2005
    real punk is were its at! thanks man. i got a mow hawk too.
  9. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    33Hz should be the first band, farthest to the left. Take a finger and put it all the way down.

Apr 23, 2005
    yup i know what it is i just didnt no cut meant down. i tihnk i got it cut=down boost=up yes im startin to remember all this language i used to be able to speak.
  11. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I thought my use of the term "frowny face" was pretty un-technical :)
  12. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    There should de like a detent or a notch, where the sliders are halfway up, with every slider in a line on the middle notch, thats flat.

Anything below that is a cut, anything above that and youre boosting those frequencies.

Apr 23, 2005
    yup, i got that. just a bit unsure on what i need to boost and cut for the sound i really weant but i tihnk i got it. just lookin at others settings :bassist:

Apr 23, 2005
    i like the idea of the smily...hows that work tho? lol i havnt tried it. i boosted more thne cuts but i got it how i like. id like to see mo haks pics tho
  15. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Smileys, i.e. cutting mids and boosting lows and highs sound great...until you try to play with other musicians. Then you will notice a marked lack of volume, projection and the ability to sit forward enough in the mix for anyone to hear you.
  16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Exactly. Smileys sound great practicing in the basement.

So home = smilies gig = frownies.
  17. [​IMG]

I sometimes tweak the normal EQ settings ( the low/mid/high ) , but the graphic EQ stays essentially the same (minor changes as to environment will be used tho)

As i said, mine is a 7 band, for the 9 band you could just make the curve a little smoother, you get the idea tho :) :bassist:
  18. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    check the "look here before asking" FAQ sticky at the top of this forum and click on the link to the EQ thread. It has some useful descriptions of the various frequency bands, if i do say so myself. :smug:

Apr 23, 2005
    thanks ivan and mo hawk.

Apr 23, 2005
    i boosted everything but my 33...and it actaully sounds good. its an aggressive tone and kicks for whayt i need. im also gonna try mow u use that for gigs?