setting pickup height

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nirvanafan13, Dec 23, 2002.

1. nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i know this is probably a dumb question... which i feel kinda stupid asking, having played for about 3 years... but i've never really messed w/ my bass much, and i'm just starting to...

How do you set the pickup height? i tried to raise mine on my Ibanez 6-string... i just unscrewed the screws a bit, figuring it would work like the bridge saddles, but it just loosened.....

Someone please help me out here!

THanks so much,
  2. SCH

May 3, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    Generally speaking, under pups is some kind of foam or spongy material that allows for some springy tension. This tension allows you to raise or lower the pups by loosening or tightening the screws. It may be that your bass does not have this, or perhaps whatever is under there has lost its springiness. I've heard of folks cutting out bits of foam to support their pups, but I've never had to do it myself. You may want to take your bass to a qualified technician.

As far as the value of adjusting pups; raising or lowering them is one of the components that affects the sound of your bass (along with action, intonation, strings, etc.). Once you get yours to where you can adjust them, I recommend that you experiment with differing height adjustments to see what you like.
  3. Unscrew all the screws (not all the way) just enough soyou can pull the pickup manually. The foam under there will most likely NOT push the pickups up themselves and the screws are just to keep the pickup cover on and add SOME pressure. Just unscrew them, and pull it up. if it's too high, tighten the screws and it will lower the pickups. Lower them to your desire. Thats my experience when adjusting the pickups on all my basses.