1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Setting String Height On Fretless Neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Robert Spencer, Jun 15, 2012.

1. I`m all new to these things so am asking about this in regard to an upcoming build ( more like assembly). I will be installing a fretless neck so it seeme like a lot of the standard measurements are in need of adjustment. Without measuring distance (gap) from top of fret to bottom of string I assume i will have to use fretboard to string. I saw a video recently where someone used a quarter to gauge the gap and adjusted to that. Seeme like the figure given was 062.

Anyway will those of you that have setup a fretless please give me something to go on. Thanks & take care.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    here's the thumbnail sketch:

the number one thing is to get the nut slots super-low, like maybe a business card higher than the wood.

after that, get the neck itself almost straight (holding the tuned-up string down at the nut and at the body end of the board, you should see the tiniest gap under the middle, again in the ballpark of a business card, maybe two).

then, adjust your saddles to be as low as they can go while still sounding good and not buzzing.

3. Sounds like sound ( no pun intended ) advise Walter. One more aspect that I have questions about but forgot to ask. What method would i use to set relief (set up truss rod asjustment) without a top of fret measurment & going on fretboard to string distance ( gap)? Thanks again & take care. Bob

4. Robert, Walter answered your question:

" after that, get the neck itself almost straight (holding the tuned-up string down at the nut and at the body end of the board, you should see the tiniest gap under the middle, again in the ballpark of a business card, maybe two)." ;)

Use the string itself as a straight edge from the first fingering position to the 20th.

5. Thanks darius8. I got it this time. take care/ Bob