setting the bridge

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by nobuhiko takada, Jul 31, 2004.

1. nobuhiko takada

nobuhiko takada

Jul 1, 2004
    ok well after searching and finding almost everything i wanted to know, me and my father in law have decided to start our first bass this weekend, the only question i have, as stupid as it may be i still dont know.... but what should determin the distance where the bridge is set? i dont just wanna slap it on somwhere.. sorry for askin a newbie question but thats what i am...
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    measure from the nut to 12th fret and double it, that's where you put your bridge (actually the saddles), make sure you put the saddles in the middle of their adjustment range, so you have room to either side for intonation adjustments later on.
  3. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Depending on the scale length of your instrument and the amount of adjustment travel of your bridge you might want to add a little to that doubled number. 3/32" is a decent number to add for compensation.
  4. That's a good start but I've found with the 7 instruments that I've built that by the time intonation is corrected, the saddles have been pulled back much further than 3/32". Each time I've done one, I've slightly changed my spacing - from JMX's "midpoint" beginning to the current "full" extension that i use now. That means that I put the saddles at full extension, aligned across the strings and that becomes the mounting point at the full scale measurement. When I finish the intonation, the saddles are usually between 1/3 and 1/2 of their full travel and that leaves the room and looks nice and balanced.
  5. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    Hambone has nailed this one again.
    I agree with extending the saddles as far as they can go.
    then mounting the bridge at that point and then intonate it.
  6. nobuhiko takada

nobuhiko takada

Jul 1, 2004
    dude thanks allot guys.. i will keep posted on our progress with pics... its gonna be a cheapo the first couple of times..