Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Setting Up A Jazz Bass Saddle

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kleinroq, Sep 25, 2004.

1. kleinroq

kleinroq

Sep 25, 2004
    I just purchased a used Mexican Jazz Bass. The neck is straight and it sounds great when played. I took the hardware off the saddle when I was cleaning it and now am at a loss as to the correct re-installation. I know this was a bonehead move but it's my first bass so cut me some slack. I play guitar and have for 23 years. I know what goes where just not the height away from the body for each string. I turn to you for help. Any other tips would be appreciated.
    -Alex

2. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    If you took the allen screws out of the saddles, (the part that the string touches) put them back in and screw them in so that the top of the screw is just coming out of the top side of the saddle. There will be two allen screws for each saddle. Then, take the long screw, shove it through the tailpiece, slide the spring over the long screw, then screw the screw into the saddle. You will do this 4 times, assuming it's a 4 string. Then, after you restring, you can adjust the string heights individually to your taste. :hyper:

3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    And make sure each saddle is parallel to the bridge plate. While the strings will make an arch, the saddles themselves should not be arched. Otherwise one allen screw will have less pressure on it than the other, so it will vibrate loose after a while and cause noise and a loss of sustain.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

5. kleinroq

kleinroq

Sep 25, 2004
    Thanks everyone. A big help! I appreciate it.