1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

setting up a mic to bass cab recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by nboyer941, Apr 24, 2010.

1. nboyer941

nboyer941

Jul 22, 2008
    Burnsville, MN
    I'm trying to record my bass cabinet with a mic for the first time.

Can anyone show me a thread or link where I can learn about doing this?

Mic Placement?
    Room accoustics?
    Should I put any kind of treatment in front of my cab on the otherside of the mic?

Thanks.

2. Sir Sly Ry

Sir Sly Ry

May 21, 2013
    Didn't want to create a new thread about cab micing, so here goes.

So I have a 4x10 and a 15. Let's pretend I wanted to do some home recordings using a mic instead of going straight from the amp into a computer. How would you go about doing this? Would you want two mics, one for each cab, or one mic somewhere in the middle? Because more low end is coming out of the 15 obviously, so if you only miced that you'd lose some mids and highs, and vice versa.

Not that I'm going to buy a mic any time soon, I'm just wondering what the best setup is and what all it would entail.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    re-amping:
    Go straight from the Bass to the Computer
    Record a track, then play this track out through the amp while recording it back in on another track.

Concentrate on playing while recording, concentrate on "sound" while re-amping.

Or you can record two or more tracks. One straight in for re-amping, and other tracks trying to capture sound. Watch the "phase" when you try to mix these. The mic and direct will always be off by a couple of ms. It shows up on clean digital recordings as combing.

Start with an Omni mic
    http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/Mi...rectional-vs-Omnidirectional-Microphones.aspx

Start with the omni near where you think it sounds perfect to your ears when playing.

4. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    It depends, 4x10s puts out more lows than the 1x15. You could Mic one speaker and then the 15, Pick which one you like best.