1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

setting up a practice space in new house

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by drewphishes, Dec 2, 2018.

1. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    hey guys,
    just bought a new house and finally have a basement that I can use as a jam room to have people over to jam.
    Wondering what I may need to make sure I have everything set

have:
    bass
    bass rig
    microphone
    powered speakers QSC k12
    mic stand

to get:
    decent simple drum kit
    mixer to plug mics into and send to speakers
    second mic
    cheap guitar amp

I wanna be able to invite people over so all they have to do is grab their axe or sticks and ready to jam

ELG60 and Mr_Moo like this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

sounds like you have it covered. you might consider some kind of recording device/process --- doesn't have to be expensive. congrats on your new home! :thumbsup:

el_Bajo_Verde and saabfender like this.
  3. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I recommend the Soundcraft ui12 or ui16 mixer. Lots of built in DSP.

And earplugs.

saabfender likes this.
  4. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Heat, dehumidifer in summer, humidifier in winter, if you're storing instruments.
    Acoustic tiles, carpet, etc for sound dampening
    Fridge for the beers.

PaulCISSA, bass10bfb, getbent and 6 others like this.
  5. FutureTense

FutureTense Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Wilton, Iowa
    The modern electronic drum kits are pretty great and are definitely worth checking out. You can also manage volume a lot better this way since drums tend to be the loudest piece.

Jimmy4string, ELG60, MEKer and 5 others like this.
  6. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    My issue with electronic kits is that some drummers won't like them. No one will sneeze at an acoustic kit if the sound isn't a problem with neighbors, members of your family.

I found that when I bought a really cheap drum kit, the drummers kept either giving me, or selling me, their cast off equipment. They weren't happy with anything but the drums themselves -- hardly any of the hardware was suitable.

The stuff they gave me, or sold me, was normally decent quality for a rehearsal drum set, but since I bought the kit, the only thing that is part of the original kit is the bass drum, toms, and high hat cymbals. Everything else other drummers weren't happy with and suggested I replace, donated it, or sold it to me pretty cheap.

I now have a decent drum kit, but it took a few years and different drummers to make it happen.

Have you considered a decent keyboard? I have a Yamaha P-something with weighted keys and it gets a lot of use. I run it through the PA. I have a whole rig for practice and a second one for live performance for my bass. It gets to be a hassle to have to set up for everyone before each rehearsal. Granted, you don't have to travel to rehearsal, but it's still an issue. I hope you have a bathroom nearby the room too, and it needs to be clean for certain musicians.

B-Lo, bjelkeman and Mr_Moo like this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Make sure you do a volume check. Basements tend to have low ceilings, and cement walls and floors. In other words, loud.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  8. rohi

rohi Lead Lined Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    If your friends are anything like mine-- ash trays.

Also, don't forget a couch, so everyone's girlfriend/boyfriend has a spot to sit and scroll through instagram.

Edit: Drum rug!
    Edit 2: Power Strips!

Jimmy4string, City, Mr_Moo and 2 others like this.
  9. Carpet would be nice, AC in summer is a must. Stools to sit on. Good luck, wish I had a dedicated space.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  10. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    have central aC and a keyboard ill def set that up. stools is a good idea!

11. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    Drum pad.
    Low pile carpet.
    Strategic sound dampening wedges/pads.
    W/C / bathroom cleaning products.
    Small whisper fan(s).
    Trash receptacle.
    2 Drum keys (one always disappears).
    Possible dehumidifyer.
    IMO.

Congrats on the new habitat!

Mr_Moo likes this.
  12. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I’ve been in some huge basements and some that felt more like basements. Ventilation and sound are the two things I’d focus on first. Spending a little extra money to get a “respectable” drum kit isn’t a bad idea...at least a good kick drum and solid hardware.

interp likes this.
  13. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    Battery backup for the sump pump if there isn't one

PaulJSmith and saabfender like this.
  14. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    meh. I've played some Roland kits for a while, and while you can get good practice out of them, the sound, feel ,and expressiveness are ultimately going to suffer. A small "jazz" kit can be pretty quiet, much cheaper, and will give a hugely better playing experience.

saabfender, Rock Salad and Mr_Moo like this.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    1) Neighbor's "permission". You don't have to have it in the middle of the day (in some places). But rules/laws differ in every town. Where I grew up, the law was three phone calls. If the Police got three complaints, you got a visit from a cop and asked to turn down. Three more and you got fined. But, some notice that a little noise is coming usually smooths things over.

2) Yamaha Stage Customs are a bargain in the drum world. Nobody hates mine. Generally speaking, drummers will want their own snare, cymbals and kick pedal (in my experience anyway).

3) You gotta dry up the room. Carpet on the floor. Bass traps, blankets, towels, curtains, etc. on the walls. Spray in a popcorn ceiling or put up acoustic tiles. You don't have to do all of that at once. But the more the better.

4) Small fridge.

5) Somewhere to sit. Stools, chairs, couch, whatever.

6) Mine has our old 46" TV mounted on the wall next to the mixer. I run an HDMI cable from my computer to that TV and run the audio out from the computer to the mixer. That way, I can Google lyrics and put them up on the big screen. I can YouTube or Spotify just about anything at a moment's notice and play it through the PA. It's a really handy audio/visual tool. (It also quickly settles debates over lyrics and song format.)

I printed a sheet showing our wi-fi name and password and hung it on the wall. That saves time and everyone will ask.

16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    In my previous house, I made covers for the window wells out if 2x10’s - isolated the sound enough that the neighbors couldn’t hear anything. From most basements, the window wells are where the most sound leaks out.

17. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    Menards sells insulation made out of recycled denim, which is marketed to be superior for sound absorption. Couple hundred bucks into the joists is well worth it. One other addition - add at least a half bath accessible to the room.

My workspace. The bar and bathroom are behind me and “lounge” to my right, with couches, TV, and case storage.

image.

18. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe Supporting Member

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    View attachment 3234847
    Diffusors on the walls. Other than the floor, (a rug is missing in the picture) I don't think I have anything that is a flat surface that faces another flat surface. I have a very hard space, concrete walls or walls made of large blocks of granite (not flat). You think it would be really hard to work in there, but because all the walls have either material that acts as diffusors or sound dampening mounted on the wall it is a very good space to practice in acoustically.

19. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Lovin' the lows

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    I went through this a couple years ago. New gear has come and gone, the setup is currently:

My basses
    Ampeg pf50t
    Ampeg SVT 112av

Warmoth HSS Strat
    Carvin V3M 50 watt tube amp
    Carvin sealed 112

Roland TD-20 brain
    All mesh pads
    Simmons drum monitor

Powered 8 check mixer
    Home made PA cabs
    SM58 mics

It's great for a semi quiet jam now and then. I would like to get recording gear, like mentioned above. But, I have not done anything serious enough to record down there. And I know someone with a basement studio I can use.

PS. I've never heard a single complaint about a decent electric kit with good mesh pads. And it's great for quiet Jams!

20. Zackabinoff

Zackabinoff

Mar 23, 2018
    Hey Drew, I have a Sonor Safari kit I am looking to get rid of. Would be perfect for your needs. If interested, send me a PM.