Setting up a rack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Daytona955i, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I've been thinking about building a rack and using my current amp. I need to put a noise suppessor and a maximizer in with it. An EQ and a tuner would be nice too... but that's not as important. Where's a good place to look for racks, and all the parts that are rack mountable? Is there a multi-fx unit that is rack mountable and can do all that well?

I don't want to spend an insane amount of money either.

2. In my opinion I think that saving up for a better head/amp and a better cabinet will get you better tone. When you start piling on effect after effect your sound quality will diminish. If you got a better amp say an Eden or Ashdown, something with more power, 500-800 watts, and a more effecient cab like an Avatar 410 or 212 or an Eden 410, you might be happier with your sound. You could try adding some effect pedals first and see if that wakes up your rig before getting noise suppresors or sonic maximizers. IMO.
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think the Bass Pod Pro does that, but I'm not completely sure. Some preamps have those features incorporated.
  4. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    I would avoid multi effects until you get a good rig started, ie a good pre and power amp and cabinet...
  5. Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    I agree about getting a better Amp and cab. I don't know what you are playing through now, but usually a good head will always sound way better than 6 pieces of rack gear. Another thing to think about if you are having noise problems (ground hum, feedback etc.) (you mentioned a noise suppressor)....Have your pickups in your bass either checked out or upgraded. Again, I don't know what bass/pickups you have, but if the pickups are cheap or broken...then it'll kill you sound!
    Remember, if the sound is bad from the get amount of rack effects or pedals will fix it!