Setting up a Rebop for CGCF. Pointers?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Droog, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Hey all,

Probobly going to get my Rebop tonight!!!

First major thing I will need to do is set up for CGCF. Now, I take my instruments to a trusted luthier, but I figured I would see if any TBer's have some heads up or recomendations. Maybe I could just do it myself, but I am intimidated by truss rods :D

I had my P-bass setup up for this and it does not like it, the low C is always sharp when ever it gets fretted. I would be extremely un-happy if the Spector does this too.

Thanks everybody.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, to help with fretted intonation, try a taper core string, those can help intonation sometimes. If it's always flat when you fret it, then you need to eyeball your intonation more than the the bass. I know a couple people who just could not get their intonation to be in tune from around the 12th fret and above, that switched to a taper core string, and had the problem clear up considerably. Not saying this is the issue, but it's an easy avenue to explore.

My other advice would be get a light/medium gauge 5 string set. .120-.040ish, and then string your bass BEAD, and then tune to CGCF from there. You'll have to redo your intonation, but it's not really that big of a pain. The extra tension is a huge boon to your technique, and sounds much better (in my experience) than the sound of a .105 detuned two full steps. Much more articulate, in my experience.

I use a regular 130-045 set on my Spector Rebop 5, and often tune it C-F-Bb-Eb-Ab(G#, whatever), and after straight detuning for years (with high assed action to accomodate the slack in the detuned strings, ugh), detuning on a much heavier gauge of string was like playing a brand new bass. A better bass.
  3. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Thanks alot for that. I had thought that maybe the low C on my P-bass was a bit too big. I will try with a lighter gauge when I restring it, taper core too.

However I will have to do it with my new Rebop sooner. Just picked it about an hour ago. We'll so how practice goes with all the slack before I set it up properly.

Thanks again.