1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Setting up a Rebop for CGCF. Pointers?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Droog, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Hey all,

Probobly going to get my Rebop tonight!!!

First major thing I will need to do is set up for CGCF. Now, I take my instruments to a trusted luthier, but I figured I would see if any TBer's have some heads up or recomendations. Maybe I could just do it myself, but I am intimidated by truss rods :D

I had my P-bass setup up for this and it does not like it, the low C is always sharp when ever it gets fretted. I would be extremely un-happy if the Spector does this too.

Thanks everybody.

2. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, to help with fretted intonation, try a taper core string, those can help intonation sometimes. If it's always flat when you fret it, then you need to eyeball your intonation more than the the bass. I know a couple people who just could not get their intonation to be in tune from around the 12th fret and above, that switched to a taper core string, and had the problem clear up considerably. Not saying this is the issue, but it's an easy avenue to explore.

My other advice would be get a light/medium gauge 5 string set. .120-.040ish, and then string your bass BEAD, and then tune to CGCF from there. You'll have to redo your intonation, but it's not really that big of a pain. The extra tension is a huge boon to your technique, and sounds much better (in my experience) than the sound of a .105 detuned two full steps. Much more articulate, in my experience.

I use a regular 130-045 set on my Spector Rebop 5, and often tune it C-F-Bb-Eb-Ab(G#, whatever), and after straight detuning for years (with high assed action to accomodate the slack in the detuned strings, ugh), detuning on a much heavier gauge of string was like playing a brand new bass. A better bass.

3. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Thanks alot for that. I had thought that maybe the low C on my P-bass was a bit too big. I will try with a lighter gauge when I restring it, taper core too.

However I will have to do it with my new Rebop sooner. Just picked it about an hour ago. We'll so how practice goes with all the slack before I set it up properly.

Thanks again.