Setting up a Stingray

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kwisatzbass, Mar 5, 2001.

1. kwisatzbass

May 30, 2000
    Hey I recently purchased a new Stingray 4 string (translucent teal, maple neck, its beautiful) mailorder from a store in michigan. When i play it, I get tons of rattle on the low E string, and a little rattle on the A string. I also get a much brighter and less solid tone than the other new stingrays at say, Guitar Center. How should i setup this bass to get that solid Showroom model sound, and eliminate the low string rattle?
  2. halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    I had pretty much the same problem with my new MM Sterling that I ordered. The good folks here at talkbass told me to take it to a local guitar tech for a setup...problem solved for $25. If it is like mine (it sounds like it is) it needs a truss rod tweak, some saddle adjustment, perhaps a neck shim(?) and some solid thumping time.

P.S. That bright tone may be due to new strings on the bass. Most of the rays at GC have been thwacked on alot by the flea aficionados and the strings aren't so new.