1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

setting up a thunderbird

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by A-Step-Towards, May 11, 2011.

1. I need to do a set up on one , and yes i have done setups but not on birds, any factory specs' out there?

2. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    does it have the 3 point bridge?

3. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    Epiphone or original Gibson?

Minimal original specs exist but there are repair people who keep notebooks on repaired instruments & what they receive. Import (Chinese, etc) Epiphones will generally vary due to factory QC. They also will have modern electronic componentry. That (Epiphone) material is generally promo material & I don't think can be relied upon. Original data stems from factory repair notes & appears to emphasize electronic testing using 1960's period passive components & techniques. "Neck repair" issues emphasize methods of determining warping, straightness & so forth. 0.118" measured from bottom of E and G is what I could find for their standard (1.5" nut / 34" neck); that's about it, which seems tall to me for "period strings" - which I imagine would be flats. But that might be all the bridge would handle without buzz, etc - as there was no info on relief offset.
    That's about all I could find unless you want the testing data (if you DO have a Gibson of that period that would be very relevant) dealing with original passive components. If not, that (testing) info isn't relevant. Someone who works on them and keeps a notebook will probably chime in with more in depth info.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    No factory specs are needed. Adjust action to personal pref you'll get a better playing bass that way. Like any bass, adjust neck relief first. Then the bridge. With the 3point bridges you need the rear screw down a little more then front ones so that the bridge slightly tilts back rather then forward or completely horizontal.