1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Setting up fretless fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Monkeyseed, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Monkeyseed

Monkeyseed

Sep 14, 2010
    Hoping to get my first fretless soon (if I can scrounge up enough money) I've been reading alot about roundwounds eating through fingerboards, and I don't want to use flatwounds to save the fingerboard as the tone just isn't for me. Any idea on what to treat the fretboard with (epoxy, polyurethane) and how to do it without making a mess of the bass? The bass I want has a natural, untreated fingerboard of rosewood. It's a vintage v940fl. Anyone with experience in doing this before, advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.

2. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Why don't you see how it goes first with the unfinished board, IME I've played mine for 17 years, and had the board skimmed (nothing major, sanded out) once in that time, I find less fretting finger pressure to be pretty useful for easier playing/less friction too.

3. Monkeyseed

Monkeyseed

Sep 14, 2010
    Thanks I'll try it out unfinished first and see if it needs improvement after that

4. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Keep in mind that if you do decide to epoxy it, it will sound harder/brighter than an open (unfinished board) enjoy :)

5. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    Another possibility would be to try half-wounds. If you do decide on rounds, you could stay with nickel rather than steel. That would lessen any damage a bit.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021