Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Setting up my signal chain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zacl, May 14, 2002.

1. Hey everyone,

As some of you may know, I am in the process of getting a small rack together for my bass "rig". When it's all said and done I will have a 6 space rack with a Power conditioner, tuner, Alesis Midiverb 4, a dbx 166A Compressor, and my SWR Workingman's 160 amp. Also, I have a Eden 210XLT Cab.

My question is how would I go about taking the signal from my bass to my rig?

Should I do something like this: (provided my diagram makes any sense)

Bass-->-->SWR-->-->dbx-->Alesis-->-->Eden

OR:

Bass-->-->dbx-->SWR-->-->Alesis-->-->Eden

Also, my SWR has an effects loop. Could I go into that with the Alesis and back out to my Cab?

Well, it would probably be easier if you just put what you think I should do, then I'll just take it from there.

Thanks to anyone who reply's.

P.S. The SWR also has a tuner out, so I'm gunna' go directly into the tuner from that.

2. I guess no one knows anything about racks.....:confused:

3. I would suggest the basis chain as : bass -> swr -> eden. Then you connect the swr send -> compressor in, compressor out -> alesis in, alesis out -> swr return. So the the compressor and effects go through the send-return loop of your swr amp. You should use the tuner out of your swr to connect the tuner.

One can still discuss the position of the compressor, you can als connect it between your bass and the swr input. In that case, it's only the alesis that fits in the send-return of the swr. Just try the two setups, and listen carefully, and decide for yourself what sounds better.

Peace
    Bassmanjr

4. Thanks Bassmanjr.

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The compressor generally should be the first thing in your signal chain, which will provide a good even signal to the rest of the chain. It could be used in the effects loop, but it should definately be before the Alesis Midiverb. I would put it first, though, in front of the SWR. Of course, as always, YMMV. See which way you like it best and go with that...