Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Setting up Pod Pro in effects loop?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    So I've been fiddling around with this bad boy and I actually really dig the modeling capabilities. What I'd like to do, if it makes sense, is include the POD Pro in the effects loop of my Sunn 1200s so that I can quickly and easily change my sounds via the modeler (and use the effects therein as i see fit).

Does anyone do this or is it really better to just go through the POD first, then into my amp? I've tried that and i find that my incoming signal is too hot, thus my desire to put it in my effects loop.

Assuming my idea is feasible, logical and not terribly stupid, how do you hook it up in such a way? Do you use the line input and then run the output out of the Modeled Output jack or do you input through the "bass input in the front and then through the modeled output in the back?

So many questions, most of 'em unquestionably stupid.

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    You have a few different options here.

You can use the POD as a pre-amp going into the Sunn. Just be sure to run the amp in "neutral" (the POD instruction book covers this). Basically all this means is that you run all your EQ flat.
    If your input is too hot (from the POD), try using the channel volume to control this. I know that the instructions tell you to run the channel volume and the output at at full tilt, but I've found that this is not the best way to use the POD as a pre-amp.

You can also use the Sunn effects loop, but don't run the effect send into the bass input on the POD. Instead, run the effects send into the pre-modeling loop on the back of the POD. This is very similar to the "re-amping" set-up that the POD can be used for as well.

Try both of these set-ups and see which one works best with your rig.

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    ONYX - GREAT advice, man! Many thanks!!!!

4. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Oh yeah, one more thing...

If you are going to use it as a pre-amp, make sure that the "studio/live" switch is in the live position. This will de-activate the cabinet simulation.

Also , use the modeled output. The DI output is at a constant volume and it can overdrive the input on some amps.