setting up pre/power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Sep 2, 2004.

1. ok i may be getting pre/power setup soon (well not really) but i want to make sure i know how to set every thing up

how would you wire every thing up i am getting a BBE B-MAX pre-amp and QSC RMX1450 power-amp, and schroeder 410 cabinet.

as for right now i know that i need

1/4 bass----pre-amp
    and tehn that is were i get lost i looked on the back of the rmx unit and holy crap there is aloty i dont know yet about amplifiers! were do i plug the 1/4 cable from the pre-amp to the power-amp? how do i go from the power amp to the cab?

O yea look at the back of the bbe and the back of the qsc rmx on the qsc website
  2. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You can find the manuels on the sites. You'll know what the correct output on the BBE is and correct input on the QSC is when you get them or read the manuels.
    There's no 1/4" output jacks on the QSC. You'll need some speakon cables to connect the poweramp to the speaker. I know the schroeder has speakon inputs so you'll be fine.
  3. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I've got a 1/4" running from my B2R's Preamp out, into the Channel 1 input on the upper left corner of my RMX1450. To connect the speakers, speakon cables are obviously the best option. Since I'm assuming your going to want to run at 1400W bridged (why the hell wouldnt you?).... you'll probably need a speakon that's specifically wired for mono. Also... upon receiving the amp you'll have to set it for bridged-mono and set your filter levels on the little switchboard on the back. You'll understand it once you get your hands on it and read some parts of the manual.

I wouldnt know how to rewire the speakon... since I havent had to do it. My cabs respectice impedances only allow me to run in stereo mode... which is how most speakons come initially wired.
  4. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I don't think you need to rewire the speakons. If you buy balanced TRS (1/4") cables (which you probably won't you'll mostlikely get unbalance mono TRS cable) for the preamp to poweramp connection you would need to rewire them for an unbalanced connection but you won't have to worry about that.
  5. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'm not talking about the preamp to poweramp connection. Why the hell would you use a speakon for that anyways?

QSC's have 2 speakon speaker jacks... one for each channel. Channel 1 is used for both stereo mode and mono-bridged mode. Most (if not all) speakon cables come wired for stereo mode. When you set the amp to run mono-bridged, you have to rewire the end of the speakon that goes to your poweramp.

Speakons would give you the strongest connection.... you could use a banana-to-speakon cable if you wanted to avoid having to rewire the speakon. It really doesnt seem like a big deal though.

I'd suggest running the preamp through its unbalanced connection. I dont know if it has something to do with the Impedance of either jack or something.... but the sound I get from the unbalanced connection of my B2R is better than the balanced XLR connection. I guess you could try them both... the B2R is probably different than the BMax, I'm sure.
  6. sk8rboymc

Mar 28, 2003
    I've been told (My setup is VERY similar to this, and coming soon!!! :D) that you use 1/4" from bass to pre, and 1/4" from pre-power, and then just use speaker cable (not sure what speakon is) from power to cab. Is this wrong?
  7. speakon is a huge speaker cable

yea thats about right ithink but i dont know were to plug the speakeon in on the qsc