Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Setting up your bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Apr 13, 2001.

1. Where can I learn to do it myself so I don't have to drop off my bass at my local music store and wait a week and a half for them to do it?

2. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    hey dude, what are you having them do that takes a week and a half? The few times i've had to bring it in, I have him work on it while i'm standing right there. That way, I can play it after he's done and then make a few more adjustments if it's still not right.

fisk

3. It takes them that long because they have a bunch of other things to do other than my setup. I get the new strings, getting everything adjusted, etc.

4. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    No prob. I guess we just go to different kind of places. The guy I always deal with does my stuff for me as soon as I walk in, or as soon as he's finished with another customer.

It just didnt make sense to me to drop a bass of for a week and a half for a truss rod or bridge adjustment or whatever. That seems way to long for me.

fisk

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You should be able to do any setup that's short of a fretjob or woodwork.
    Setting action, neck relief (truss rod tweaking), intonation, string spacing (on a 3D bridge) are not hard to do.
    And it'll save your money and time, especially on a gig/tour.