Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Settings for Ashdown ABM 500 EVO head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jonny5, Aug 7, 2005.

1. jonny5

jonny5

Aug 7, 2005
    Hi, curious aif anyone has any great settings on their AMB 500 head that they'd be willing to share- looking for a phat, warm, compressed and big sound. I haven't found it yet. Cheers.

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What speaker cabinet are you using? I use my 500EVOII with two Bergantino 112's and the sound can easily be everything you've just described. The valve knob will add more depth, low end and compression. Start at around 1/3 of the way up and adjust from there. Turn the pre shaped eq off. Dial back the mids slightly from center, and then turn the bass and treble knobs up slightly. The first slider to the left turned up will add lots of low end thickness. Use it sparingly though. If you decide you need a little more clarity on the top end than add a bit of the slider to the far right.

Also, what is the bass that you're using?

3. jonny5

jonny5

Aug 7, 2005
    I'm using a mexi-jazz 60's reissue bass and am still trying to decide between an ampeg 8x10 cabinet and an ampeg 2X15. My tone right now is killing me- i'm also considering new pickups and working from the bass down to the cab, but want to try getting my current setup sounding as good as possible first, before i go out and spend excess amouts of cash... odd, because i used to love my sound when i had a 410 ampeg cab.

4. the 2x15 will be warmer sounding id think, the 8x10 will probably be more in your face punch

ive heard good things about the NV610 tho, maybe you should look into that?

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I can't say enough good things about the Bergantino NV series cabs. They much lighter than the Ampegs and they sound bigger and clearer. Not to mention that Ashdown and Bergs are my favorite combo! :bassist:

Definately check out the Bergantino NV610, NV215 and the NV425 if you get a chance. www.bergantino.com

6. I feel a bit stupid asking this, as I have had my amp for four years now, but does anyone know what settings are flat on the ABM500? I can understand if it was the three dials set at 12 o'clock, but the sliders certainly dont set to flat at their midpoint. I have scanned the manual and cant see anything about this.

7. dawhite33

dawhite33

Jun 8, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I use my ABM 500 head with an Eden 210xlt. I have to bump the mids to get a good cutting/punchy rock tone with my Fender Jazz (the Eden cab scoops the mids too much). It's hard to make a true pyramid shape because of the weird EQ layout (knobs + sliders).