Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Settings for Boss NS-50 noise supressor?????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by afroman, Nov 9, 2004.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I just bought one on Ebay and would like to know from people who own one for settings. I've played with it and I found that i have to turn the THRESHOLD knob almost all the way to get the hiss to go away. The RATIO knob is set at its minimum. I noticed that if I turn the threshold all the way I get like a compressor-like breathing pumping out of it.

I also noticed that it quiets the "hisses" only when I'm not playing, but when I play the noise is still there. Is that how it's suppossed to be??

Sorry but it's the fisrt time I've used one of these and I have no manual. Any help is welcome.

PS. I run my rack: bass>preamp>compressor>Boss NS-50>into the retunr of the preamp and preamp out to poweramp. I hope this is how it's suppossed to be!

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yep, theory behind using a noise gate is that hiss is much more noticeable when there isn't any music. So, the noise gate suppresses the output when the input level is below some threshold. Above the threshold, the noise gate begins to pass the signal to the output.

If your signal is extremely noisy and the noise is audible and annoying when you are playing, then the noise gate can't help you. Your first step is to reduce the noise. This involves making adjustments to your equipment in your signal chain. Either you need to change the settings on them or you need to replace them with less noisy equivalents.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Out of curiousity, what bass, preamp and compressor are you using? If you remove the compressor, is the amount of hiss reduced?

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Make sure the rear level switch is set to +4db.

This is how I run mine.

Bass>Preamp>SE50>Boss NS50>Compressor>BBE>Power Amp.

BBE Process never past 12:00
    (it boosts the super highs, and thus increasing 'hiss')
    Try backing off the treble. Experiment.
    Remember: Boosting the Preamp 'Treble' and the 'Process'
    is double boosting highs.
    (triple if your boosting an instruments preamp highs)

The compressor can emphasizes noise.
    Try giving it a cleaner signal with the NS50 before compression.

Mine is set at min. Threshold and max. Decay.
    (T-8:00 D-4:00)
    Level Switch (on the back) set at +4db.

That's how all noise suppressors/gates/expanders are.
    They do not actually remove 'noise.'
    There will be no hiss or hum when idle.

You don't want the Threshold too high.
    It'll cut your sustain.

The beauty of the Boss NS 50 Pro is the
    Stereo Line Level I/O's AND Instrument I/O
    making it very flexible.

The gate is really smooth and is considered to be Studio quality.

I really enjoy mine.
    I have BBE Noise Reduction and 2 other (compressor) Gates in my rack.
    I keep all their Thresholds under the NS 50 Pro because
    it has the sweetest taper and seems to be specially designed
    for stringed instruments.

5. I'm assuming you mean ME-50B, and what is the Boss NS50? I went to the Boss sight but couldn't find it. The NS-2 is a Noise Suppressor in a foot pedal,... is the NS 50 rackmount?

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    He means an SE-50 which is no longer made. It is a half-rack space multieffects box. The NS-50 is also a half-rack space box. Both of which are no longer made, but like many discontinued products, are really good.

7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003

Made in Japan, 1990.

[​IMG]

8. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I use a Stingray5, Lakland 55-01 w. US Barts ad Fender Geddy Lee w. Ultra Jazz pup's.

The head is BBE Bmax. Teh compressor is a DBX 163x and is the biggest hiss maker. I love how it makes me sound punchier but it is the one to blame the hiss on.

It's no thte basses nor the preamp settings, I barely have the treble knob on and the BBE process is at 12:00-1:00.

BUt i didn't hacve the rear btton on +4. Cause when i was messing with it, I put it on +4 and when I turned the treble just a little bit, I heard a loud bee from the speaker and I asummed that +4 was incorrect.

Thanks for the help guys, but don't stop...

9. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003

??

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Here is another thing to look in to. If you can, put a louder signal into the compressor and turn down the output gain on your compressor. This will reduce the amount hiss generate in the compressor.

11. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    a loud beep, sorry !!!

12. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Hate to say it, but you shouldn't be getting a beep. You might possibly have something wrong there.