Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Settings for Guitar Amp Used for BASS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrbill180, Jan 16, 2002.

1. mrbill180

mrbill180

Dec 28, 2001
    USA
    Okay, while I'm researching which higher end amp to buy, I'm using a guitar amp to practice on. My question:

What should I set the settings for? Below are the settings available:

Volume:
    Gain:
    Master:
    Treble:
    Middle:
    Bass:

What do you recommend for maximum enjoyment, without blowing out the amp? Oh yea, buy the way, it's a Squier 15 guitar amp (yes I know, very, very poor quality already).

Thanks!

2. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    well so start, i wouldnt put the gain or volume over 4~5, and dont push the bass past 7 so you dont blow it

(assuming that its 1-10, with 5 in the middle)

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're going to kill this amp, so don't worry about the settings. Just blow and go.

4. You can set it to whatever sounds best to you but if you hear the speaker complaining, back off on the volume.

As you increase the bass, you will have to decrease the volume.

The most volume will be obtained with the bass all the way down and the treble all the way up. You may not like the sound you get, though. So you will have to compromise volume for tone.

5. mrbill180

mrbill180

Dec 28, 2001
    USA
    Yea, it's a 1-10 number setting with 5 in the middle.

Would love to "Blow and Go," but must first wait until I get my "real" bass amp.

Thanks for the advice!

6. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    My first amp was my brother's small guitar amp. I'd advise keeping the bass at at 6 or 7 (or whichever setting will avoid farting), mids as high as they can go without sounding too ****ty, and enough treble to suit your needs. I wouldn't turn the volume all the way up because that's just too risky. Your lower notes will definitely not be loud enough in a band setting, but the one octave up shouldn't be too bad. You can actually get a pretty decent sound at low volume, but you will, of course, lack the thump of a real bass amp.

I used more or less the same settings on the guitar amp, and believe it or not, I was audible in a band setting (30 watt marshall combo cranked, live drum set, keyboards, vocals). Now granted that I was just barely cutting through on the lowest notes, and my tone was nothing spectacular at all :( (was better on the higher notes), I was pretty impressed with the small 32 watt Roland amp. :cool: In fact, I can't quite believe how loud it got because the entire sound drowned out the vocalist (if we turned the mic up anymore, it would start feedbacking like crazy).

Now I have a 625 watt Mesa rig (and a better bass with a hotter signal), so I don't have to worry about not being loud enough. :D ;)

7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Gain:11
    Master:11
    Treble:11
    Middle:11
    Bass:11

Volume: 0 :D

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member