1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

settings for NS Design!

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Bassoon, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Bassoon

Bassoon

Aug 1, 2003
    Germany
    Hi!

I bought the NS Design CR-series EUB a few weaks ago and I'm really happy with it. I play a lot with the settings of the electronics, there are so many of them which sound cool!

How do you play the bass?

I am planning to buy a new amp, would the ebs microbass II preamp be a good decision?

greetings from the old europe :p ,

Johannes

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I just got a CR4M last week, what a great bass! I have only played it through my SWR Baby Blue II combo so far and although the EMGs sound pretty good, the piezos are the real meat of the bass I feel. In my short time with it so far I have found rolling off the treble a bit makes it sound good in the pizz. setting. This is with the stock strings which I will change out after I get more comfortable with the bass and research strings some more.

3. Bassoon

Bassoon

Aug 1, 2003
    Germany
    Yes, really cool bass ;)
    Your amp is also great for playing such an instrument.
    I played the SWR last week and it's really great.

I also prefer the piezo pickup...

4. daHammer

daHammer

Oct 25, 2005
    New York, NY
    Hi Bassoon,

I have an NS Design bass (CR5M) and love it like everybody else. The piezo settings certainly give the best sound with most strings. I use the "arco" setting -- 3rd knob down from the top set fully clockwise -- for a very percussive, double bass sound but often prefer the "pizz" setting -- same knob set fully counter-clockwise -- which offers greater clarity for fast solo work (where I use "pulloffs" a lot). The magnetic pickup setting is NOT useless as some people suggest. At times you may want to get that singing electric bass guitar sound without having to carry two instruments, which is great on jazz ballads, and the NS works beautifully in that mode.

Edward

5. Hello Bassoon,
    I have a CR4m, it's a lovely instrument. I tend to keep mine mostly on the piezo setting, using the 'pizzicato' setting mainly for that lovely double bass 'thump'. I play mine through a GK MB150E combo with the eq settings left flat.
    Mike e.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I always preferred the piezo pickups and found the magnetic pickups to be pretty useless, but only in direct comparison of sound. The magnetic pickups sound nice, they're just blown away by the responsiveness of the piezos. Of course, YMMV . . . .

7. Bassoon

Bassoon

Aug 1, 2003
    Germany
    Does anyone plays the NS design helicore strings on it? I wonder how they sound...

8. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    I too, am interested in hearing about the NS Helicore strings. From what I have been reading I am trying to decide between those or Spirocore Weichs.

9. Bassoon

Bassoon

Aug 1, 2003
    Germany
    Do I have to change the neck relief when i put double bass strings on the bass?

10. daHammer

daHammer

Oct 25, 2005
    New York, NY
    I have used D'Addario Helicore Hybrid strings on and off for several months. I'm not wild about them although they are much favored by NS users, particularly those who also play upright string bass. I find the action somewhat heavy and prefer the Corelli 370Fs, which are light and responsive. They sound great and can be bowed fairly easily as well. They have somewhat less sustain that the Helicores, however.

11. Bassoon

Bassoon

Aug 1, 2003
    Germany
    Mhh, the point is that i don't want to change the neck relief. I think i have to change it when using db strings... :meh:

12. thejimfactor

thejimfactor

May 9, 2005
    Given that these are NS Helicores, does that mean that they are made for stringing up like double bass strings, or are they modified so that they are shorter, like the standard NS strings?

13. Bassoon

Bassoon

Aug 1, 2003
    Germany
    I think they are shorter...

14. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    According to David at NS, they are shorter and fit like the stock strings. He also said the ends that go into the tuners are thinner to make it easier to put them in the tuner holes as opposed to the standard Helicores.