Settings for Timmy C on an ME-50B??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by refinedbass, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Anybody have any settings that will give a tone that is comperable to what Tim C uses?? Or if you have any ideas for this one from the Line 6 site??

Thanks in advance.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    don't have any settings for you, but I have an ME-50B and it should be fairly easy to get a timmy like sound.
    At the end of the day, it's trial and error until you get what you want. I'd recommend starting with a flat sound, add the overdrive/distortion, then the eq and then any compression you want. The od/dists on the me50b are very good.
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm not real sure how the ME-50B works, but on the Guv'nor, I have the gain at about 10:00, bass at 2:00-4:00, mids at 2:00, and treble at 8:00.

I hope that helps a bit.
  4. I just got the ME-50B and I really like it, but I haven't really had the time to sit down and come up with my own presets yet. Guess I was trying to cheat my way around it. Gotta do it the old fashioned way, I guess. Thanks for the help though guys.

Hey David--What dist would recommend me starting with??
  5. I'd try the BASS DRIVER with (from right to left) E.LEVEL at 4 o'clock, D.LEVEL/RESONANCE at 4 o'clock, TONE/CUTOFF at 4 o'clock and DRIVE/SENS around 7-8 o'clock.

Also, I've really been digging the HI-BAND DRIVE - pretty much all controls at 12 o'clock through my SWR WM 12 combo with the tweeter OFF.

I'm pretty simple, I tend to set everything on my bass, amp and the ME-50B flat / 12 o'clock and then start messing around from there. That being said I generally keep the MASTER LEVEL control at 10 - 11 o'clock so that it's at the same volume as my flat (when tuner ingaged) sound. Also, I keep it sown to make sure that I'm not overdriving the output of the ME-50B.

I find the COMPRESSOR/LIMITER a little heavy handed so I generally set the TYPE to NATURAL, the THRESHOLD/SUSTAIN at 3 o'clock and level at 12 o'clock. If you're using any SYNTHS or OCTAVE you might want to use more compression so that it tracks better.

My favourite synth sound is SQUARE with the D-COMP compressor with all controls set at 12 o'clock.

I've used it a lot live and generally I always get good comments from the crowd which I tend to think is because of my COMPRESSOR/LIMITER setting which even outs my playing with out being heavy handed and it's what I send to the sound man. Signal chain is BASS -> ME-50B -> AMP with a pre EQ DI out on the amp (SWR SM900) to the sound man.

I'd like to start placing it in the FX loop because we are going to be recording soon and I'd like to record to signals, one direct bass and one from the ME-50B and with the SWR amps you can blend the two signal while practising to get an idea of where I want the levels to be.

Anyone else use the ME-50B in their FX loop?
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, I like the high band drive a lot. Also, the sansamp type overdrive is good too.
  7. Big B--thanks for the info. Definitely gonna have to try out some of those settings.

I was playing through some of the presets the other night and there were alot very usable ones. Pretty surprised because every other effects unit I've had, I had to do some tweaking to get a decent sound. This has actually inspired me to play more too. I was playing with the high band drive on doing some double stop chord stuff and ended up playing the first 2 chords from Smoke on the Water. Figured it out relatively quick from there. The High Band Drive is pretty cool and I would have to agree with David, that the distortions are pretty darn good. I also like the AutoWah's on there as well. Fonky.
  8. ye i have one in an effects loop it works really well
  9. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    man this thread is old :cool: