Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stagger lee, Jul 12, 2004.

1. stagger lee

stagger lee

Jul 11, 2004
    i've been playing guitar for 4 years and took up bass a year ago. i'd just been playing it through my guitar amp for a while but got a practise bass amp a few weeks back. i'm not sure what settings to use though, i'm used to guitar settings but i'm sure bass is completely different for the tone. what are some general settings to use for different styles?

the controls on the amp are bass, treble, mid and presence.

2. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Start with everything flat...nothing boosted or cut. Next adjust the gain. Sure, clip lights help, but learn to use your ears. Then let the light tell you how your ears are doing. Then sweep the EQ and let your ears tell you what you like or don't like. Careful boosting the lows and highs too much. Too much low end will eat up available headroom. Careful about cutting your mids too much. You might think it sounds better, but in a live band setting, try boosting them and hear how much better you sit in the mix...and how much easier you can hear yourself.

If your unsure, simply set your gain and leave the EQ flat. Typically, the better gear you acquire, the flatter you'll tend to run your stuff. Generally, EQ is compensation. With my Music Man instruments thru my SWR Professional Series rig, there isn't much to compensate for. I'll only EQ for variety's sake. ...not to sound good.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well flat is always a good place to start..........
    for slap most guys cut mids and boost bass and treble/presence - this sounds really good all by itself but can get lost in a gig
    sometimes boosting the mids really helps to cut through at a gig
    overall you have to experiment and remember not to go too extreme with the eq settings
    a final note, boosting bass sounds great but it uses up a lot of power so you can run out of headroom at a gig really fast