Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Settle for a GK 1001RB-II or go all the way for the 2001RB?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Feb 1, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Alot of you have seen me rant for months about how much I yearn for a Gallien Krueger 2001RB. Well I was at Guitar Center today, playing a 1001RB-II and I loved the way it sounded through this Peavey 8x10 with a Stingray. It got my think that 700 watts may be all I'll ever need. I originally wanted the 2001RB as a head I would never have to replace.

The advantage of the 1001RB-II would be that I'd be able to use my 410 and a 115RBH safely, without overpowering the 115. I don't like how the effects loop and tuner output are located on the front. With the 2001RB, the effects loop and tuner send are in the back and it can power upto 8 cabs, which I'll never need, but are handy, but I would not be able to safely power a 410 and 115RBH. I'm pretty sure overpowering the cab voids the warranty.

The price vs power ratio also throws me. $649 vs $1199. 700/50 vs 1080/50 watts. So what would you say go for?

~Patrick

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    The 1001-RB is a lot lighter and more portable. I had the 2001RB and I dreaded taking it anywhere because it was to freakin' heavy.

3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    That's an easy choice, 1001RB-11. For $49 more you can get the cool carrying bag for it.

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    The Peavey 8x10 is actually really impressive. It's cheap, and sounds great. There is a new one locally for $475.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Ok. I am thinking of giving the 1001RB-II a go. There is one at my local Guitar Center. I could easily talk them down on the $749, wether I get a deal from the Assistant Manager , or have them do a price match. I could have the money for a 1001RB-II a lot faster than a 2001RB.

That Peavey 810TVX is a monster. Its $599 at Guitar Center. Some guy came in and traded in his whole rig which consisted of two Peavey Firebass heads and two Peavey 810TVXs.

Back to the topic at hand. GK are the best amps ever invented.

~Patrick

6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I think it should have been stated "<i>I think</i> GK are the best amps ever invented".

Everyone has their own opinion. I used to think that way until I got out of my garage and heard some other amps. Don't get me wrong, GK's are great sounding, but the best amps ever?

7. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Just get the 1001. I got them down to $599 at GC. 700 watts is a ton of power. You could almost get two for the price of a 2001, although you don't get that distortion channel. Regardless, take your 4x10 in with your bass and give it a run. In faxt, buy it, try it, and return it if you don't like it. I have a feeling you will.
    Oh, what is this $40 gig bag thing someone posted about earlier?
    Wes

8. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Rik's Music has them for $649 inc shipping.
    www.riksmusic.com

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I know about Riks. Thats where I got the prices from in my first post. Guitar Center sells it for $749. Wes, did you talk get the newer model or the original 1001RB? Think I could talk them down to $599?

~Patrick

10. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Yup, it was the new one. They didn't have a 700Rb, and said they would sell me the 1001 at the 700's price.
    Wes

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Wes, hows your GK rig doin? :cool:

12. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    It is as good as the day I got it. In fact, it sounds better than they day I got it since I figured out how I wanted to knobs set and I got a new bass. I still don't use my 115RBH, but I guess it is there if I ever need it. I wish I would have picked up another 2x10 instead, just because I am going through a portability phase of GAS.
    Its funny, and will somewhat relate to this thread. I have spent the past 3 months looking for this head, or this pre/amp setup, or this light cabinate, always comparing it to my 1001. I sometimes dont realize that I have one of the best combos made today. It has an unbelievable head, and more power than I ever use. It's really more portable than I realize. It has wheels, a retractable handle, and it tilts back. Sure it's 80 lbs, but it is super solid. I need to buy less stuff and play more often. It's really hard to beat the combo I have, and the 15 just adds a ton of killer bottom, which I generally don't need because the 10s are that good. I guess GAS is evil...
    Wes

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Wes, I'm thinking about getting the 1001RBII 700 watt head and put it in my 2x10 combo. I will most likely keep the other 1001RB head for a backup. I leave the 1x15RBH cab plugged up via speakon at home when I practice.I am considering a 4x10 cab to have in my arsenal too, I want to hear the SBX cab to see if I want it. All in all I love my rig!

14. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I have seriously considered getting another GK head as well. One for another rack system I have been wanting to build. Not sure why, it isn't like last year's 1001 isn't cutting it, because it is more than I ever need. I figure you and I both have the same issue. We like the compact portability of the 2x10 combo, but want to be able to mix and match other cabs to the head. There is really no reason why I can't pull the head out of my combo and rack it, but then I look at the $1300 combo just sitting there all bastardized, and I end up putting it back in after a day or so. That combo is a double edged knife...It sound great even by itself, but when you start getting GAS and buying stuff, the integrated head starts giving you setup restraints. It is a great head because it is so light and shallow. It fits in a roto-s rack! I have gone full circle with all the gadgets though. I have a ton of money wrapped up in a pedal board that I dont use, a great wiresless system that I can't rack if I leave the head in the combo, and an extension cab that I don't use (as well as the 4 space rack, furman surge strip, and a ton of pedals that just sit there, unplugged). When it all comes down to practicing and gigging, all I need is my combo, by bass, and a tuner. Isn't that supposed to be a good thing?
    Wes