1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Settle for a Jazz or wait and get a Geddy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, May 23, 2011.

1. OK, I've really been liking the idea of making my next bass a Fender. I've played a few Jazzes and with my style and for the tone I want, this is likely going to be my best bet.

Now I've been looking at some of the standard Jazzes and I've got a few issues with them. One of them is that I prefer maple fretboards and so far, I've been having little luck finding one. Another one is that some of the basses I've tried

Now I know that the Geddy Lee sig model has the maple fretboard and also a decently thin neck (another issue for me as I have wrist issues still). The only problem is that if I want a Geddy then I'm likely to be paying almost double the price of the standard Fender. Although, being a Rush fan, I'd likely not mind doing this.

So, anyone care to help me out? Would it really be worth waiting a while to get the Geddy?

2. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    They show up used around here fairly often for around $600 or so.

3. Go with the Geddy but get a used one.

4. Kaleidescapist

Kaleidescapist

Mar 4, 2011
    If you really, truly feel like you're "settling" on something, it might be better to save your pennies and get exactly what you want. Play both a bunch of times, if your local music shop has got them, and go for what will really make you happiest. 'least, that's what I'd do. That Geddy sure is a nice bass though, isn't it?

5. I'm lucky in that the chances of me being able to find a good used bass around here are very good. Two stores here do higher-end stuff, including Fenders, and the prices can be surprising too.

Well this is the good thing- at least two of my local stores hold both the standard Jazz and Geddy sigs, so I can easily do this and try both of them. And in fact I've already played a Geddy (playing YYZ of all things!).

But I'm trying to avoid the situation where I'm paying over the odds for a bass which in terms of features I can get for cheaper. Especially as I've seen here on TB a decent amount of posts about how people seem to sell on the Geddy Lee's fairly quickly after getting them, which to me seems a bit odd for a decently expensive bass.

6. Have you tried the vm series squires yet? They make a nice black one with a maple board for around 299 I think, new. Forget about the tone at first. If you like how it feels you can always swap out the pickups for some nicer ones and save some bucks for the new rush cd too!

7. I've played a few Squiers before and they're surprisingly not bad. For some reason I got it into my head that because they're a 'budget' make, they were going to be terrible.

8. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    Haven't played that bass, but just the pictures of that thing look awesome! Really fueling the GAS.... :scowl: :bassist:

9. Now you know what I was like when I went to see Rush in concert at the weekend.....it fuelled my GAS no end. Actually FEELING the sound of a Geddy Lee bass was amazing.

10. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    wait for the geddy the slimmer j neck is well worth it. I played one when I was trying out a cab and fell in love with it. I will be getting one when I have the cash.

11. I NEED a slim neck...:bassist:

12. I've had 3 Geddy's and they were all a bit different. Buying used is a good idea but definitely try it out first.

13. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Most people seem to think that since slimmer=faster, they can get a hang of the neck on the Geddy. I couldn't. Mine is for sale now too :p

14. Just in case you havent seen this bass yet::hyper:

0327702506_md.

I am thinking of one of these for myself with an aggie OBP-3
    and ????pickups:D

15. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    I didn't like the geddy that much. Than again I prefer rosewood boards

16. JB36

JB36

Apr 22, 2010
    Albany, NY

I wouldn't worry too much about people moving Geddy's and how it reflects on them. Some people here change gear alot. Plenty of people have and like them; myself included. Keep in mind Fender has sold a ton of these so they're always available. They're a bit overpriced new at 1k USD, but a decent value used. I'm a fan of MIJ basses so I'd keep a look for a non GL as well which may be even a better deal. Neck won't be as slender, but it's still slim.

17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    There are about a zillion type of Fender Jazz basses on the market... all seemingly very similar; However, it really is a "you get what you pay for" deal.

Were I buying a *new* Fender (shudder), based on the basses I'd played the best one is the P Deluxe. Out of the box, it's good to go, very nice. However, it's spendy.

I'd consider a "Special" - still made in the US (more or less) but I'd have to upgrade the hardware - the tuners are cheap/stuff and the electronics are cheap... but the neck is nice & thin, the bodies are light.

It really depends on your budget, I guess.

18. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    The thing that makes the Geddy sig IMO is the look and feel of the neck. If you're going for just the Jazz tone and don't mind not having the glossy Geddy neck, any Fender dealer can get a standard jazz with a maple FB.
    Most shops for some reason only stock standard P and J's in rosewood but Fender still makes them with the maple option.
    If you're heart is set on the Geddy, by all means go for it, but I just wanted to make you aware of the maple FB option on the standards.

19. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    I'm quite happy with my Geddy, however I still break out the P bass for songs that require THAT sound. But the Geddy is very good at what it does. If you've played on and like the feel and sound, by all means buy a used one, you just can't go wrong in that you should be able to sell it for about what you paid if you get buyers remorse.

20. I'm not going for a Jazz simply for tone, otherwise I wouldn't be considering the Geddy if there's a cheaper and easier option available.

[/QUOTE]
    Most shops for some reason only stock standard P and J's in rosewood but Fender still makes them with the maple option.
    If you're heart is set on the Geddy, by all means go for it, but I just wanted to make you aware of the maple FB option on the standards.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? I'll have to ask about this...

My only problem now is simply finding a used Geddy Lee Fender.

Yeah, they're roughly the equivalent of $1400 dollars here minimum for a new one. :bawl: