1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Settling in after the effects of humidity

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by frankpc, Mar 20, 2010.

1. frankpc

frankpc Gold Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2009
    New York
    Hey everybody i got a question, a bought a bass a few weeks ago, its a ken smith, they shipped from florida to NY, when i got the bass, the bass had a muddy dead sound,...now im talking acousticly, (yes its an electric bass !!the electronics are fine and the batteries too) so i found out that the bass was in stock for more than 6 months, and acording to the maker (yeah..ken) the wood and the tone, got affected by humidity and that the bass needs to 'settle back and dry out' ,..now my questions:
    1. Does the wood swell and expands?
    2. Does the bass dry out as the time goes by?
    3. As the bass settles into its new enviroment are changes gonna take place to the action and neck profile?
    4. And what do you recomend to do as the "settling in" period goes on?
    I would love to know ur opinions on this matter, i dont know anything about wood and how affected can get by the climate,.. by the way when the bass arrived to new york we had the strongest snow storm ive seen in my whole life!!
    Thank U.

2. Answers to your questions 1-3, yes absolutely, the difference from Florida to NY is staggering and very changing to the instrument.
    To answer #4 start setting it up and slowly within a week or so you should notice some more stability. I have seen this happen so many times including a tour I did in Florida one year, so glad I brought my tools with me.

Oh and new strings are a must. ;)

Good luck with your new Smith.
    Dirk

3. frankpc

frankpc Gold Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2009
    New York
    thanks for the attention man!! so youre wood tone got affected too whe you've been in this situation??

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020