Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

setup after shipping

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Hi

did a search, but couldn't find much about this.

will it be likely that i will need to setup my SR5 after it is shipped to aus from us? i know that humidity and etc can cause issues, but is it very likely?

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses

I'd say you'll probably have to make a few minor truss rod and bridge adjustments. My advice is that you play the bass for about a week, let it get used to it's new surroundings and then adjust your truss rod and bridge saddles if necessary. IMO MM's truss rod adjuster wheel is a wonderful design, truss rod adjustments are a breeze, and their bridge saddles are also very easy to adjust.

Enjoy your new SR-5, congrats. :cool:
    - Art

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I'm with Art on this. I find that most basses need adjustment after travelling from one climate to another, but I wouldn't change anything for a week. In fact, I usually do a few minor adjustments on my own and then take it to my local luthier after about a month or so to have them do the whole 9 yards including fret levelling.

4. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    My take is that since every player has different tastes in setup, you should assume that the setup on any new bass will need adjustment to your specifications. The only thing I expect from a high quality maker or dealer is that the frets and nut will be dressed properly and the setup will be in some "reasonable" range. You can't be sure that the relief, string heights, pickup heigths will be to your liking. After all, some people set up basses differently for pick vs. fingerstyle or flats vs. rounds.

Unless the relief is really far off, I would not hesitate to adjust to your specs as soon as you get it and then expect tweak it again in a few weeks.