Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Setup - Buffalo, NY

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by chanesworth, Feb 24, 2006.

1. chanesworth

chanesworth

Sep 20, 2005
    I need to get a setup done on my bass. I am too scared to do it myself. For those of you that live in the Buffalo, NY area, do you have any recommendations?

Thanks

2. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Don't be scared to try it yourself Chanesworth. It's not really that difficult.

Check out the gary willis website - it has some good tips. He explains it quite well in his book as well. One of many resources that you can use.

Unless you're filing frets down or something, you're not really going to cause any damage. Give it a go :)

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    What do you need from the setup? The basics are very easy.

It's Really hard - at least in my area in NY - to find a responsible person to do a setup. Most people doing setups are hacks in a music store that are glad to take your money, let your bass sit in the store for a month, and then rush a hack setup when it's finally time to get the bass out of the store.

If you really don't want to do it, and you find an Expert you're willing to pay for, then I guess go for it. But definitely don't just take it to a music store. Odds are they are incapable of doing a job better than you.

People here could walk you through it, if you wanted to take the plunge.

As for practical advice for finding a good person in your area - go get copies of the music papers. [the ones that are usually free and advertise bars and bands.] In a paper like that, you have a shot at finding a local competent guitar tech.