Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Setup Dilema and some SWR questions.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dadodetres, Mar 12, 2006.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Hi!

i have some questions about my rig, so ill start saying that my rig consist in a SWR Grand Prix Pre, a Yamaha MIJ crossover, a Yamaha 500+500 amp, a SWR goliath III JR and a Yamaha 1x18.

Both cabs are 8 hms, so im delivering about 350 watts to each. I play a 78`Fender Jazz bass. Im very happy with my tone, but sometimes found the cabs to be a little unbalanced.

Since i live in Uruguay, i dont have the chance of buying new gear, and the little i can is ultra expensive.

Today i saw in a studio around here someone who had a goliath II and a Son of Bertha.

I was thinking i may asking him to trade one of his cabs for one of mine, so ill have a 4x10 and 1x18 OR 2x10 and 1x15.

Thr problem i have is that i cant carry the 1x18 to gigs, cause its TOO big and heavy. So any of theses choices would suite me, cause i can move both 2x10 and 1x15 OR use only the 4x10 at gigs.

My questions are the following:
    -do you think the 2x10 and 1x15 will be enough loud to gig in small clubs without P.A? and to rehersal?
    -do you think the 4x10 will be enough loud?

-is it a good trade the SWR Jr for the Goliath II ?
    -is it a good trade the yamaha 1x18 for the Son of Bertha ?

Well, thanks for for any advice, and ANY input is welcomed!!!

2. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I used to have a full SWR rig (Son of Bertha with a Goliath III). The Goliath III I still have. A 2x10 and a 1x15 should be plenty loud. I say keep the 2x10 and add the Son of Bertha. 18s can be very unpredictable in a gigging situation and I would just avoid using one on stage altogether.

3. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    note im not using the 18 for giging, as it is BIG and HEAVY i cant carry it.

4. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I use a 2x10 1x15 rig for most stuff. It keeps up without an issue in any situation I could need that doesn't have PA support.

5. I use the SWR Goliath JR III and Son of Bertha. This is a good combination, definetly loud enough for small clubs even w/o pa support.

I've used the 4x10 Goliath III, this is also a great cab that's very capable of cutting through.

You should a/b both, the 2x10 + 15 and the 4x10.

I've recently realized that I like 15's, they round out the bottom end.

Nice preamp btw, I'd like to score a SWR Grand Prix myself.

One more thing to consider, if you choose the 2x10 + 15 combination, you'll be able to use either for small gigs...and both for larger gigs. The 4x10 may be overkill for coffehouse, acoustic type gigs.