Setup Dilema and some SWR questions.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dadodetres, Mar 12, 2006.

1. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004

i have some questions about my rig, so ill start saying that my rig consist in a SWR Grand Prix Pre, a Yamaha MIJ crossover, a Yamaha 500+500 amp, a SWR goliath III JR and a Yamaha 1x18.

Both cabs are 8 hms, so im delivering about 350 watts to each. I play a 78`Fender Jazz bass. Im very happy with my tone, but sometimes found the cabs to be a little unbalanced.

Since i live in Uruguay, i dont have the chance of buying new gear, and the little i can is ultra expensive.

Today i saw in a studio around here someone who had a goliath II and a Son of Bertha.

I was thinking i may asking him to trade one of his cabs for one of mine, so ill have a 4x10 and 1x18 OR 2x10 and 1x15.

Thr problem i have is that i cant carry the 1x18 to gigs, cause its TOO big and heavy. So any of theses choices would suite me, cause i can move both 2x10 and 1x15 OR use only the 4x10 at gigs.

My questions are the following:
    -do you think the 2x10 and 1x15 will be enough loud to gig in small clubs without P.A? and to rehersal?
    -do you think the 4x10 will be enough loud?

-is it a good trade the SWR Jr for the Goliath II ?
    -is it a good trade the yamaha 1x18 for the Son of Bertha ?

Well, thanks for for any advice, and ANY input is welcomed!!!
  2. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    I used to have a full SWR rig (Son of Bertha with a Goliath III). The Goliath III I still have. A 2x10 and a 1x15 should be plenty loud. I say keep the 2x10 and add the Son of Bertha. 18s can be very unpredictable in a gigging situation and I would just avoid using one on stage altogether.
  3. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    note im not using the 18 for giging, as it is BIG and HEAVY i cant carry it.
  4. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I use a 2x10 1x15 rig for most stuff. It keeps up without an issue in any situation I could need that doesn't have PA support.
  5. I use the SWR Goliath JR III and Son of Bertha. This is a good combination, definetly loud enough for small clubs even w/o pa support.

I've used the 4x10 Goliath III, this is also a great cab that's very capable of cutting through.

You should a/b both, the 2x10 + 15 and the 4x10.

I've recently realized that I like 15's, they round out the bottom end.

Nice preamp btw, I'd like to score a SWR Grand Prix myself.

One more thing to consider, if you choose the 2x10 + 15 combination, you'll be able to use either for small gigs...and both for larger gigs. The 4x10 may be overkill for coffehouse, acoustic type gigs.