Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

setup-effects chain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by brandonwhite, Apr 15, 2002.

1. brandonwhite

brandonwhite

Jan 2, 2002
    AR
    Alright guys, I know this has probably been done before, but I'm in the market for some effects and I was wondering what you guys use.

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i use a bass balls into a dod envelope filterinto a dano chorus(dont knock it the thing soungs kill on a fretless) a dano octaveinto a guitar pod for distortion in the rare occasion i use it and delays and the such all running through the looop or sometimes i live dangerously and run it straight

3. EH Big Muff Pi---->Sansamp

For some reason, I like the way the Muff sounds before the Sansamp *shruggs*

4. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    Well I use a ummm... Tuner pedal and a ummm... Volume pedal and a ummm.... Chorus pedal... and...ummm...the super mega Brad's the coolest pedal... and then top it all off with a Sponge Bob Squarepants...

....Hanging from a noose over my rig.
    See ya Brandon,
    Brad

For everybody else other than Brandon that's a joke not serious here.

5. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I use a Boss ODB-3 into a MXR Phase 90 into a Danelectro Dan-echo. I have them in the loops of a MIDI channel selection system so they are in front of my amp but are cut out of the signal chain when not in use. I also have my Korg DT-1PRO in my system, when it's selected it mutes the signal to my amp. All done with one pedal.

6. [​IMG]

CPR is the brain, into the 'Rush, into my Mesa head. 1st loop has the G5. 2nd loop has the EBS oct>Mutron III+>Mutron III>DOD>Chunk fuzz>EBS BassIQ>P+C. 3rd loop has the MXR Phase 90. My pedal board is butt-heavy.

7. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    How do you guys (or gals) decide which order you set up your effects, just testing, and playing around? thanks

8. I only use an octave pedal.

9. Merged threads... same subject... you're quite welcome... all kids love log... monkeys play water polo... in my head... I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me... Why didn't you believe me?!... Happy, happy, joy, joy, happy, happy, joy, joy... Happy, happy, happy, happy, joy, joy, jooooooooooooooy... Da diddle da dun dun.

I feel better now.

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Code:
    Bass-->Boss LS-2-->SanSamp BassDriver-->2x Behringer B300.
           ! ^  ! ^                    !
           ! !  ! !                    `-->PA.
           !A!  !B!
           ! !  ! `---------------------------------------------
           ! !  `-->Fulltone Bass-Drive-->Single Loooper Switch-'
           ! !                             !                ^
           ! !                             `-->Korg AX-1 B--'
           ! !
           ! `-------------------------------------------
           `-->Akai SB-1 Deep Impact-->Akai UB-1 UniBass-'
                                                      !
                                                      `-->guitar amp
                                                          if needed.

11. P&C replaced by Dredgetone bass angler(!)

[​IMG]

12. Jazz Ad

Damn MadSub, do you have enough filters now :rolleyes: :p :eek: ?
    You need a bassballs to go with that.

13. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    He really does. I do love mine... although I wish I had a 'tron (Q, Mu, ???) to go with it for some contrast from time to time.

14. :D

15. MadSub; what's the expression pedal on the right of your board for?

Is it controlling one of the parameters of the pedal next to it? If so, which one? (And what is that pedal next to it, on its right?)

16. Jazz Ad

The pedal on the right is a Mu-Tron III.
    I guess the expression pedal is connected to either the Korg G5 or the FM4, since both can be used this way.

17. That is an original, late-series, AC-powered 'Tron III. Many original Mutron III's actually can sound very different from each other. If you are in the market for one (and you should be if you are in any way a filter fan) know that you can sometimes stumble across an occasional "lack lustre" one. I had a battery powered one as well that probably sounded a tiny bit better than my current AC one (which sounds stellar so whatever.)
    I have two expression pedals on that NGM pedalboard. The left EB volume pedal controls the sensitivity in every preset of my Korg G5 bass synthesizer. My Korg presets are set up so they sound terrific on their own, the pedal position mattering not until I decide to adjust it. This reason alone is why you all want one of these great finds.
    The other black exp. pedal is for the FM-4 filter modeller. this will allow me to tweak any number of the knobs within it's four presets. I used to use my re-issue Mutron III+ with a huge knob on the "depth" control so I could tweak the sensitivity with my toe during the set. Now I should be able to do the same with the Line 6.
    The Line 6 sounds surprisngly good for the digital modeller that it is. It's Mutron settings are quite good and that's what I use it for; a few extra 'Tron III settings at my toes if need be. It's a deep box and I really haven't taken the time to tweak it like I should. I got it for a song and haven't used it much. My DOD and Mutron III are honestly all I need for filters.
    :cool:

18. Hey mad sub, do you have any issues with the quality of your sound signal running through all of those pedals? My singer is talking to me about switching to a lexicon effects processor and ditching all my pedals (i use 4) to get a cleaner sound and to kill some of the signal loss running through those pedals, but i'm just not convinced, and I'm curious to see how you are with yours. If you're powered just fine with that, then I'm sure I would be just fine with my setup, and I could avoid dropping $600 on a processor and midi board.

edit: my setup (for the original poster)

bass -> crybaby bass wah -> boss EQ pedal -> boss Delay pedal -> ernie ball volume -> Amp

19. Jazz Ad

mrwr0ng, you don't have that many pedals.
    You should just consider a true bypass pedal, such as a loooper.
    The crybaby is one of the best clean tone sucker to date.

20. Uh..go back and look at that picture some more. The brain of it all is a three loop "CPR" true bypass switching box. The only pedal I run through always is the Akai Headrush and it has true bypass.