Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

setup for $600 or less...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lets jump now, Nov 7, 2002.

1. im a-lookin to start playing bass, ive been guitaring for a while but am calling it quits...i have $600 to blow on a bass and amp, what would you reccomend? im going to buy on ebay so everything's cheaper, i dont mind used stuff... i really know nothing about them so it would be so much help if i could be enlightened.

oh, id like it to be 5 string, not fretless, and capable of smooth or funky tone. if thats possible...

thanks for everything!

peace

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Fender MIM (Made in Mexico) Jazz Deluxe V. ~ $350
    Ampeg B50-R combo ~ $250

This is a great sounding and versatile setup for $600.

That's IMO, of course... :)

3. Yeeeeah! Essex basses kick arse. Don't let the price fool ya, they are really nice.

The Ampeg combo is a good one too. I thought the Peavey TNT 115 sounded great, but is was heavy as all hell.

4. 50 watt Ampeg combo vs. 200 watt Peavey combo... hmmm.... I think I'd take the weight. :)

5. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Ampeg B50-R and a MTD Kingston 5, would be nice.
    I just got a MTD Kingston 5 and I love it. SOunds and looks much better than a MIM Fender 5.

6. True. But if it were me, I'd try to find something that didn't weigh a ton. There are some good combo amps that are loud, and much lighter, but the problem is keeping it in your price range.

7. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    cruise by bassgear.com
    there's good deals there too.

8. thank you thank you thank you

if there are good 4 string deals, go ahead and post those too...please

thanks a lot, this helps big time

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Can I just ask one question? Why exactly are you quitting guitar? I am just curious what your motives are for playing bass...because it's a lot harder to play a bass well IMO than to play a guitar. I used to play both guitar and bass and totally dropped guitar when I realized its much easier and just not as exciting as the possibilities on bass.

10. s7on3d

s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    I know you weren't asking me but I find it quite funny that whenever someone asks me why I play bass and not guitar, I basically give the answer you just gave. I also find that the bass is a kind of "ugly duckling" in the music business, everyone thinks it is easy and sounds like crap (specially as a solo instrument) but it can be SO beautiful in the right set of hands (not mine, Victor's).

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    LOL. My whole rig costs about $600, I think...let's do the math...
    1 PV 4x12 = $50
    1 Acoustic B320 Head= $200
    1 SR305 = $300
    ---------------------
    Total = $550. Then I have my PV Koa coming...andother $200, and then a 2x15 on top of that which was $200. My total $950, my basic $550...

12. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    There are more possibilities on bass than guitar huh?
    Interesting. I think both instruments have their possibilities, it just depends who is playing them. If your going to create something new and exciting, it doesn't matter what instrument your on its just going to happen.

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i agree. it's not the instrument, it's the person playing it.