Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Setup for blues band?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TJBass, Dec 23, 2000.

1. Ok, so I am playing in this band, drums, bass (me), and guitar. The guitarist is into hard roots type blues, how do I setup up my equip to play with the guitar instead of sounding just a bit off? Is there some secret to getting in tune with each other that you could share with me? Thanks a million.....

2. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    I'm not sure I understand your problem. Are you not in tune with each other or is your and/or his intonation off?

[Edited by Rumblin' Man on 12-24-2000 at 05:40 PM]

3. Make sure your tuners are calibrated to the same A440 frequency. To further insure compatibility use the same tuner for both guitars.

4. fiddlpat

fiddlpat

Dec 24, 2000
    One thing about electronic tuners I picked up at the Reverend website the other day is, when you use it, make sure both(all) pickups are turned on, on each instrument being tuned, assuming there is more than one pickup. Also, that the batteries are good. Weak batteries can give false readings.

fiddlpat

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    If I read your question correctly, it souds like you're looking for a tone for blues bass.

I would start with warm and heavy -- lots of bottom, light on the mids and light on the highs. If the guitarist plays with a thin, trebly tone, you could add some low mids (250 hz or so) to fill it up some. If he plays heavy and thick, you might get away with adding some treble (3000 Hz or higher) to fill that up, but pull back those mids or you'll clash with him. But always, heavy on the bottom end.

And from a playing perspective, stay simple until you understand each other.