Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Setup for old Bartolini jazz pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tornadobass, Dec 8, 2004.

1. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I have a set of Bartilini jazz bass pickups (the side-by-side humbucking kind) from the early '80s. They've been out of a bass for awhile, and when I put them in a new project, their output was fairly low.

Are these supposed to go closer to the strings than a regular jazz pickup?

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Theyre supposed to be 22mm from the string, when the string is held down at the 12th fret.

3. callofthebow

callofthebow

Oct 19, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    they have the plastic covers on the top right? you should be able to raise them all you want without worrying about the strings hitting the pole pieces

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I set Barts as close as they'll go to the strings without contact. Barts are relatively low output as a rule and some, especially older stuff, are rrrrrreally low. I've been told by some experienced players they've heard the real low output stuff was intended for use with preamp. Never verified that with Bart. At any rate, nothing the amp wouldn't compensate for but not to be forgotten in swapping basses.

5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Okay...they're installed and sound very nice and smooth..i low in output. But I've fully shielded the bass, so even pushing the gain on the amp a bit doesn't cause a problem with hum.

Thanks all!