Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Setup for popping higher frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tmt, Jan 1, 2002.

1. tmt

tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Most of basses are good for pulling and slapping on one octave frets. How do you setup a clean slapping and pulling notes on higher frets ( one octave up ).

Thanks

2. Welcome to talkbass tmt,

You'll never quite match the feel of slapping in the lower registers because the upper frets must be slightly further away from the strings for a neck to work. Funny thing is that geometrically it looks like you could setup the strings to be perfectly parallel to the fretboard but to give the strings room to vibrate they need to be slighty raised at the high end.

After all that, you could get the best setup with an extremely straight neck. Not just straight unstrung but straight while fully tensioned - No relief. This would also mean a perfectly contoured fretboard to really work. Then do the adjustments at the bridge. This might help make both hands work a little less while slapping.

3. tmt

tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Thanks Hambone,

Dont you get a buzz sound when making a straight neck on the lower fret?
    :rolleyes:

4. You sure would if the strings were setup perfectly parallel to the neck. The way I'm describing, the neck is straight but the angle of the strings from the nut to the bridge in relation to the neck is watched closely.

5. tmt

tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Correct me if i'm wrong.

You suggest that bending the neck just a little, and watch the strings height, right?.

6. No, I'm suggesting keeping a very straight neck and balancing the angle of the neck to the body and the string height with the bridge adjustment.