Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Setup for slap on a fender jazz???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassmonkey144, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Just a thought. I have a Fender jazz, with Thomastik flatwounds. The strings themselves are low enough tension that they can be slapped on. However, I can't seem to get good tone or consistency with it. I was wondering if it was possilbly my setup. I believe its just a standard setup the way Fender dictates it.

But, also to keep in mind, I'm primarily a Jazz/Blues player, so slap is new to me, and my technique isnt stellar. So is it just my ability (or lack thereof) to slap, or is it my setup?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Slap on flatwounds? Maybe try roundwounds to get that slap tone you are looking for.

3. I can't stand roundwounds. besides, these aren't like normal flatwounds. They are real twangy/stretchy. I can't really change strings anyway, as this is the bass I use for my Jazz Band.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Sorry, I wouldn't know what to say then. Slap on flatwounds just doesn't sound good to me.

Maybe try lowering the action a bit, playing softer, and turning up the volume to compensate.