Setup for slap?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TJBass, Jul 19, 2002.

1. On a fender 4 string jazz? How do I set it up?

2. Have you tried a search? i a msure this has been covered before. ;)

3. just do a normal set up.... there isnt really any particular way to set up a bass for any style except tapping (from what i understand it is really close to the board). For slapping. use a set up that you would use finger style.
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Well... i doubt all you do is slap... if it were, then i would say as low as you can get it.... however... I preffer my action medium low to medium... I find this perfect for slappin, tapping, and fingerstyle... as long as your action is low enough to get a get slap sound without using a ton of force, then that should be low enough..
  5. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Get it as low as you can without buzz, but not so low as to crowd your fingers underneath the strings on the treble side, you need a little room. Vague enough for ya?
  6. I'd say thats vague enough!:D I did learn that low action is the way to go in the search forum but what I didn't learn was how to setup the pickup heights in relation to the lowered action for optimum slap tone. Right now I am as low as I can go without buzz but I have a dead spot on a few frets near the body side of the neck, I contribute that to needing a truss adjustment, either way, I get alot of pickup "pops" with the height that its at now and it is set as fender specs from the strings. So I think the strings are contacting the pups when I slap, do I need to lower the pup more or back off on how hard I slap the strings, and believe me its not that hard. So if anyone can tell me the measurement they use between the strings and the pup I would greatly appreciate it...thanx for all the replies

7. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    Set the pickups as close to the strings as possible without interfering with the strings vibrations.
  8. be wary... very wary when setting the pickups for slap on my jazz i have to set them like _ - because when i slap i always contact the front neck pickup's pole pieces.....

my knowledge of the evening folks..... that will be 52.50...
  9. I noticed that tonight, loud popping sound when the string would contact that pickup, I backed off the neck pup a little to keep the amp from clipping
  10. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I know active pups are meant to be as close to the string as poss, but not sure about magnetics - But I should think it depends on the 'Field' of the pickup. Magnets are much weaker on active systems. (therefore lower impedance)