1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Setup frequency and playing improvement

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by debris, Sep 17, 2010.

1. debris

debris

Oct 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I just got my Stingray worked on (setup + neck adjustment) and that sh*t is incredible. It feels like a brand new instrument. The response is much, much faster and I can just fly all over the fingerboard.

Such dramatic improvements literally overnight lead me to believe that I should have been getting my bass set-up like that from the get-go.

Having been and still being a younger player (going on 20), lots of seemingly obvious things seem to fall under my radar, such as the importance of having my bass set-up regularly.
    It is now however that I realize I don't actually know how often the procedure should be done.

So let me ask TB: how often should setups be done in general?

And does an instrument generally need to be re-set-up after string changes every time (seems like it does, even if it's just a check, but I figure I'll throw that out there anyway)?

Any other input on setups/maintenance and its benefits for playing would be much appreciated.

2. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I would say at least once a year.

http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_setup/

This has great tips and walkthoughs on setting up the bass yourself. I check my bass every few practices or so, but really it's just the intonation I check. But once a year, got a to pro - a nice setup does wonders for your playing too!

3. debris

debris

Oct 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    bump?

4. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    I would say atleast every time you change string...or at least check it.

I know the feeling, having done a proper setup on my BTB after owning it for six years...it's a new bass. I had just gotten my Rockbass, but probably not have gone for it if I had done the setup on the BTB prior to ordering the Rockbass. That said, I immediately did a proper setup on the Rockbass, and it is a dream player, especially since I do like the smaller string spacing.

5. xikbastard

xikbastard

May 7, 2007
    Singapore
    i get it done every singe time i change new strings especiall if its a different brand, etc..etc..

just change to a DR-DDT and that thing need major set-up need to straigthened the trus rods as the tension of that string is massive. a bit of tweak its all good.

6. AndybradleyUK

AndybradleyUK

Sep 30, 2010
    Once a year sounds good. If you buy a new bass get it set up straight away, they always set the action a bit high so you don't reject it because the strings rattle.

7. I set my bass up every 20 mins or so..

8. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    I do my own 'setting up' which basically consists of getting the action how I like it followed by setting the intonation.

Is it really worth taking it to a pro? is there a bunch of stuff i'm missing?

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021