1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Setup geeks: what is considered "high action" that won't effect intonation?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MammaryVest, Apr 9, 2010.

1. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    If I want my action up high, how high (in mm) can it go without significantly messing with my intonation?

2. The highest ive ever had my action was 2.5 mm at the 20th fret and had no problems with intonation, I never tried going higher than that as I soon discovered im a low action kind of guy and I now keep the action on all of my basses at 1mm to 1.5mm at the 20th fret.

3. Until you run out of adjustment range for intonation, unless you want to move the bridge.

4. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    That is a good point. It is possible however that the string could be so high that just the act of fretting it will pull it out of tune no matter where the intonation is set.

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I'd raise it until it gets so high that it messes with the intonation, stop and then lower it until it no longer messes with the intonation. I'd use where it no longer messes with the intonation as the maximum height for that set of strings.

6. Isn't that what we adjust intonation to fix?