Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Setup help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Saitoku, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Saitoku

Saitoku

Aug 19, 2004
    Maine, USA
    I recently had my neck-through bass setup at the local shop and when I got it back the third fret on the E and A still buzzed quite a bit up to the third fret. I took it back and he did it again but I didn't get the results I wanted. So, I've decided to take matters into my own hands.

I've looked at Gary Willis' site and I decided to loosen the truss rod a little.

Then I decided, as recommended by the site, to drop the action on all of my strings in order to examine to neck better. When I do this I get TONS of buzzing on the E and A up to about the 15th fret, slight buzzing on the D up to about the 8th fret, and on the G up to around the 5th fret.

What should I do? Loosen the neck more?

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Check and make sure there is no fret lifting in the area.

3. Saitoku

Saitoku

Aug 19, 2004
    Maine, USA
    Well, I just got home from work and checked it out. The truss rod adjustment I did last night had set in nicely today and after I had raised the action back to normal there was only as slight buzz on the 3rd fret of the A still. I loosened the truss rod by about an 1/8 of a turn and now it's playing like a dream. :D

Oh, and just for reference, here's the page on the setup guide that tells you to drop the action.

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/relief.html#3

Thanks for your help, guys.