Setup Help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by flexo, Jul 26, 2005.

1. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia

I have an OLP MM2 which i've had trouble setting up lately. The truss rod seems like it is very bowed and the action is really high at the moment. I tried to lower the action and straighten the truss rod which made it a lot more playable, but then i had dead notes(is this what they're called?) on the G-string around the 8th fret. Basically the 7th, 8th and 9th fret notes wouldn't ring properly because the string was touching fret above them. I relowered the action and truss rod and now the problem has gone from the 7th and 9th frets but is still present (albeit less prominent) on the 8th fret.

This is only happening on the G-string and at the moment the action is making playing the bass pretty uncomfortable. Can someone tell me why it is doing this and how i could fix it?

As a side note, i may be selling this bass (especially if this continues) and i would prefer not to sink too much money into it i can avoid it.
  2. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Bass necks are notorious for not remaining stable...particularly maple necks. Sounds to me like your neck is getting an uneven bow....

The best solution is to pull the frets, and plane it dead flat again. If the bass has a few years on it, you should be OK....

You could just try levelling the frets; this should be part of a good setup by a pro anyway...spend the bucks...or at least have a pro look at it. He'll be able to tell you where the problem lies.
  3. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    The truss rod has a lot of relief at the moment and when i tried to straighten it recently, the buzz got much worse. When i raised the string the buzzing was reduced but the action is already sky high so i don't want to do this if i can avoid it.

How hard is a fret levelling to do? Could someone run me through the materials needed to do it and how to do it?

I actually like the sound of the bass and it can be upgraded pretty easily too, but at the moment its no fun to play it since the buzzing fret is forcing me to have such a high action.
  4. Monomer

Jul 22, 2005

I've never done it, but it looks fairley simple.

A bit of sandpaper and the proper radioused sanding block looks all thats needed.
  5. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Wow...ok...that seems pretty full on! I think i'll leave that to a pro if it turns out to be that! :eek:

I won't be able to fully inspect/work on the bass until the weekend or early next week so i'll bump the thread then.

I'll see if i can remember what happened last time i looked at it.
    When i lowered the strings a while back i got fret buzz but it was consistent over the low and high strings, obviously my action was too low so i raised it again.
    More recently i straightened the truss rod and i'm pretty sure the low strings didn't buzz, that only the g string around the 8th fret buzzed. It buzzed so much that the note didn't really sound. Raising the action even higher (keep in mind that it was pretty high to begin with) improved the problem a bit, as did kloosening the truss rod so that the neck had a huge amount of relief again.
    i will check again and post what i'm noticing.

It may not be important, but just so you know how high the action and relief are i thought i'd post them. From memory the action is several millimetres (like maybe 3 or 4), and the relief is also around the same. Judging by what the recommended specs are for action and relief, its not surprising to me that the bass is uncomfortable to play at the moment.

Sorry for the long post! :bag: