1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Setup in Houston

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by simongpaez, Apr 8, 2006.

1. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    Anyone knows where can I take my bass for setup???

Other than Pace any other recommendations??

2. brooklyn

brooklyn

Aug 10, 2005
    WWW.PACEGUITARREPAIR.COM

The best guy in Houston hands down. His attention to detail and thoughtfulness is greatly appreciated. I will never use anyone else when down in Texas.

Plus, how could you not like someone who ZZTop uses.

3. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I think Ron Pace is the best I've ever used for any guitar work, and I've heard nothing but good things from others that go to him.

Some other names that have been around Houston for a very long time:

Jim Fulton (Lone Star Guitar Shop). He's done good work for me in the past.

Kevin Perry (Great Southern Music). He's done so-so work for me.

Neil Sargeant. I've never had him do any work for me, but I've heard from many people that he does good work.

4. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    +1 for Ron Pace. Kevin Perry has done good work for me as well.

BTW Simon, the B100R I bought from you is working out great at church! Thanks!!!

5. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas

Hey man Thanks, great to hear that it is a killer amp.

I tooka bass tp Ron but is taking too long, its been there for 2 weeks is that normal 2 -3 weeks for a setup?

Thanks

6. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Yea, that's about right. I usually figure about a month to get a set up - the guy's good and people know it, so he's in demand.

Try Kevin Perry out at Great Southern next time. His store is up north at Hwy 6 and Little York. He's a good guy and knows his stuff too. I've never been disappointed by his work.

7. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Ron usually has a wait of @ least 3 weeks. You can pay a fee to get it sooner.

8. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Anybody at all in Warner Robins Georgia, or Macon, or within 50 miles of Macon ? I found one guy, and all I know about him is he picks up his work at the local music stores and brings it back when he's done. I can't trust my basses to someone I can't even get to see. Any help ? please ?

9. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    I suppose this qualifies as a rant but may also be useful for Houston area Tb'er's looking for a repair/setup guy.

Despite rave reviews I had quite a bad experience with Ron Pace. Dropped my bass off on 9/10/08 for a setup and for Ron to check out the electronics. Hurricane Ike happens and his shop is out of commission for a week and a half. It take about 7-10 days for things to start getting back to normal. I call him the middle of of the third week of September to ask how things are and what he projects the time of completion to be on my bass. Ron sounds pretty overwhelmed and is rude to me on the phone. He tells me that he will get to it when he can. Apparently it's too much to ask for a general idea of when a job will be done? Ok, fine. I chalk it up to stress from being without power for over a week (I was in the same boat) and let it slide.

I give it a few weeks...

Come early October I still have not heard from him. I call and ask what the status is. I'm polite and looking for an idea of when I can expect my bass back. Again, Ron is dismissive and gives me the run around about how busy he is. I say that's OK, let me know when you take a look at it and what the issues are. I hear nothing for a week and a half so I give him a call and get the same story. I then call the following week and leave a message asking for a return phone call. Again, I'm polite but make it clear I expect a return call with an idea of when my instrument will be looked at. I say looked at, not worked on. He has done nothing at this point and made no effort to communicate.

Finally, I make arrangements with another person who can look at the bass and show up unannounced to pick my bass up at Ron's shop. Ron looks confused and has this blank look on this face. I introduce myself, ask him how it's going, and tell him I am there to pick up my bass. He flatly replies: "I'm swamped. Did I call you?" (the tone of his voice is pricelessly condescending). I respond: "No you didn't. My bass has been here for a month and a half and I have decided to take it home". He says nothing and turn around, then walks away. He grabs the bass out of the back hands it to me and just stares. Nothing. What the hell is that all about? I guess conversation is overrated. I was nothing but understanding and polite to this guy and all I get is some creepy troll-like stare? Very bizarre.

Couple things I don't understand: he wouldn't have been taking in much, if any, work for at least a week post hurricane so why was he suddenly so backlogged? When you work in a service industry does it ever pay to be a jerk to your customers? I don't get it.

Perhaps he does amazing work but over a month and a half without even looking at my bass is absurd. Tack on a complete lack of courtesy and a rude/condescending attitude and I will never recommend this guy to anyone no matter how good he is. This wasn't a case of one bad interaction it was every time I talked to the guy minus the initial interaction when I dropped off my bass. He sets up guitars for the 3 area GC's so I guess he didn't need my business. Wish he had told me that upfront and saved me a few weeks. Take your business elsewhere if you have a viable alternative.

10. I have no experience with Ron Pace, but several of my friends told me stories similar to perfektspace6's experience.

11. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I've used Ron several times and each time it took longer than I would have liked but ..... he did an outstanding job each time. I'll be taking him my friend's guitar and my bass in the next couple of weeks. We'll be using our backups for a while but good things come to those who wait (even if it's a REAL long time).

Sorry you had that experience, you would have loved what he would do for your bass.

12. Rich L

Rich L

May 17, 2006
    Ft Myers, FL
    Need a set up? Bring your bass to me! I recently relocated to Houston from Tampa (Market is bad everywhere, but in FL it's REALLY bad!) and have some extra time on my hands while between jobs. Need new strings installed? Intonation set? Action adjusted? I'm your guy! :bassist:

Thanks,
    Rich

13. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    I've had Great Southern do the last bit of work on both of my basses. I was more than satisfied at what I got back. The turn around time was real reasonable.

14. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I've had good experiences getting setups at Fuller's Vintage Guitar (610N and Yale), and Texas Music Emporium (I45 and 1960). Fuller's is probably the best for Gibsons and Rickenbackers in Houston.

If the previously mentioned Lone Star Guitar Shop is the Guitar Shop on Jones Road, near 1960, those are great people. That's where I bought my first guitar and bass. They seem to be nearing going under though, which is really sad. They used to have a cageful of vintage and rare instruments, and last time I was in there, they were down to 3 left.

15. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    You can also check out Texas Guitar in Katy. Bob who is their luthier used to work over at Great Southern Guitar a couple of years ago. I can vouch for his work as well. (Not to diminish the work of others mentioned in this thread.)

16. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
  17. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    I would be cool with waiting a few extra weeks if he is as good as rumored but going on two months with no communication and rude service aren't worth any level of expertise to me.

I should note that he has a rush fee charge that you can add to the bill to get your instrument back quicker. No idea how much quicker it really is though and it's not detailed on his site. His prices are already on the high end so that wasn't an option for me.

18. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Rich,

Thanks for the offer. Already took my bass to another guy who is working on it as we speak but if you think you would be available down the road pm me your contact info. Thanks.

Thanks to others for pointing out some other options in the area as well.

19. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    My experience with Ron was the same. I took a low end model Washburn in to his shop so he could do a replacement neck from Washburn. finally after a MONTH I called Washburn and they had one in stock, so i said ship it.

I go to pick up my bass from Ron 5 WEEKS LATER unannounced. HE HADN'T EVEN MADE A CALL TO THE MANUFACTURER AFTER 5 WEEKS. I said I need the bass. He looked at me like what's the problem. That's when I learned to install a neck properly, drill the heal, everything.

GS? I just got a bass back from them, BROOTAL!
    Ike set them back a week which is cool. But it was a little over 3 weeks to install pu's and he started on the 2nd day after I dropped it off.

I said I want to make sure it's only going to be 1 hr labor max $39.00 he said no problem. I carefully weighed buying a soldering gun and doing it myself but didn't want to learn on my high end bass. I had to get a third party involved for the proper wiring. Brootal.

The 1st time it was $85. He replaced the batteries because he said it was only at 17.2 volts. My bass is designed to run w/out batteries if needed and I had 2 brand new batteries in my case. An OBP1 can operate @ 9 volts!!!

I get home to more thoroughly check it and the hybrid treble not working in active mod. Ok cool I'll take it in next week and get it done.

Meantime I take the back plate off and there is a RATS NEST OF WIRES, so much so that the plate sits up about an inch. OMG

So i go back in for another hour to try this-try that with me hovering over my bass helping trying to get it done. Finally it works. I have them tidy the cavity back up, coil wires around each other and tie wrap some things. Horrendous wire management. Nino would be embarrassed.

So I test thru an amp, appears to be working and he says, how much should I charge you for that? I started laughing and said nothing, in disbelief at this point. He says how 'bout $15. The total for this self managed pu install $100.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT PLAYERS LEARN HOW TO DO THEIR OWN INSTALLATIONS, SETUPS...;););)

I purchased a soldering gun yesterday and accessories for my next install of Nordy Big Singles.

20. I notice that your location is the woodlands. I have always used luthier Mike Nedd. He is just across the freeway in Oak Ridge. Setups usually take a week on average(sometimes just a few days).

http://www.neddguitars.com/