1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Setup of flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wyrmspawn, Apr 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Do you set the action, so you get string buzz when digging in hard, when using flats, or are you happy this type of strings usually delivers little to no buzz/clank?

2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I find buzz to be more tolerable with flats, it doesn't sound like fake slap. So yes. But only when I really want that kind of sound.

3. Buzz/clank? No thanks.

Linnin likes this.
  4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    +1 For me fret buzz or string noise of any kind is totally unacceptable. I set up for a completely clean action.

nightchef, Heavy Blue and michael_t like this.
  5. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    On fretted I like it set so I get a bit of buzz only when I really, really dig in. Otherwise, no buzz.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't mind light buzzes. Can't really hear them with a band.

7. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    It depends on the song. Most stuff I try to play clean. But if I really dig in on a song I'll get some carrot-type fret noise. I have a fairly low action and some really sloppy right hand technique but it's mostly covered up by my stunning good looks and magnetic stage presence. :D
    B.

8. I hate fret noise and buzz. I set the action as low as possible that doesn't buzz on my Fender jazz bass with GHS Precision Flats and also on my P bass with roundwound.

nightchef likes this.
  9. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    It varies with the song, it's a tone/feeling thing to me.

Generally, I find a little (a little!) string noise can add a lot to an overall mix. ;)

10. nightchef

nightchef Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Boston
    I'm constantly trying to find the sweet spot where the strings are comfortably low but the tone is open and complex and gives me that "bloom" I crave. For me, even before they buzz audibly, when the strings get too low the tone starts to choke and flatten. Playing with an action that low is like driving with the emergency brake on. But on most basses a completely open sound means too high an action for comfort, so I compromise a little.