Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Setup on a G&L SB-2

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by yor123, Apr 27, 2001.

1. yor123

yor123

Mar 29, 2001
    New Orleans
    Hey,

Just got my SB-2. I bought it from Magdon Music in PA. I live in New Orleans so I obviously did not play the thing , just ordered it off of their web site. I also have a SB-2 that is on loan from a local music store. The setup on each is completely different and I am wondering which is the better (if there is a better). They are exactly the same except for finish and fret wire. They both have the #6 Jazz neck, but the loaner has thinner fret wire. The new one has wider and slightly taller fret wire. The biggest difference in set ups is with the neck tilt adjustment and bridge height adjustments. The amount of relief is similar with the new one have slightly less neck relief. The loaner has the bridge saddles almost bottomed out against the bridge whereas the new one has the saddles raised to what appears to be the extent of the allen screws. I would guess that the neck tilt on the loaner is backed off and on the new one, it is tightened. This allows each to have similar action but with totally different bridge settings. The new one is noisier when I play un-amped. It does not buzz at any particular fret, but it seems to "bang" more and is more subject to rattles unless I fret firmly and directly behind the fret wire. I really do not know if this is a result of the setup differences or the fret wire size or just the fact that the new bass has new niti roundwounds and the loaner has God only knows how old strings on it. I play for relaxation only, mostly in front of the TV and un-amped so the banging and rattles are annoying.

Any opinions on these setups?

2. Well, you might try to get both the neck tilt and the saddles in a more central location - then you'll have more to work with on either side of that.

Other than that, congrats on getting a fine bass. I own quite a list of basses and my SB-2 is my fave. :)