setup opinion please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by giantjerk, Aug 28, 2003.

1. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I am contemplating the following rig:

SWR 350X
    Carvin 410
    Carvin 118

I have listened to the SWR head through a Hartke 410 transporter but not through these cabs. I like the head well enough and the price is right.

I am currently playing a Fender precision, MIJ, with a Seymour pickup and a Warmoth '54 precision with a Sadowsky pickup and Raven Labs onboard preamp.

2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Sounds like a nice rig! Personally, I prefer the combination of a 1x18 and a 4x10 over a 1x15 and 4x10 combo. I think the 15 and the 10's have too similar a frequency response.

While I really like my Carvin bass, I personally haven't played through any of the bass cabinets. I know a few local players who have carvin cabs and really like them.

If you're looking at buying the Carvin cabs new, they do have a 10 day return policy.

:^)~

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Carvin's bass cabs are considered to be the weakest link in their product offerings by many here. I'd recommend taking a look at the Avatar speakers, much better for a similar price.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I like my SWR 350 (non-x) it been my only head so far, but its got decent volume and I think the sound is better than carvin/peavey ,but not as good as eden etc...

good workhorse amp. I'd try aguilar or avatar before I'd go carvin IMHO.

5. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I played an Eden WT330 head hrough an Eden D410XLT on monday. I liked it alot but the price tag was about $1800 before tax. I did some research and found a fair amount of complaints about sudden amp failure so that concerned me a little.

I can buy the SWR head for under $500. I have heard nothing but praise for SWR. I think I am just going to buy it before it gets away and continue to search for cabs.

6. How about SWR cabinets? I recently ordered a Goliath jr. and a s.o.b. after hearing them through my rig...a Peavey Max preamp. Really, you should try a bunch of brands before you decide. Do your homework first, if weight and size are an issue then keep that in mind. Petebass gives the best advice: listen with your ears, not your eyes.

7. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I researched the Avatar cabinets yesterday. Anyone here have the 210, 410 or 115?

8. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I believe Avatar has a return policy as well, minus shipping costs.