setup opinion please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by giantjerk, Aug 28, 2003.

1. giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I am contemplating the following rig:

SWR 350X
    Carvin 410
    Carvin 118

I have listened to the SWR head through a Hartke 410 transporter but not through these cabs. I like the head well enough and the price is right.

I am currently playing a Fender precision, MIJ, with a Seymour pickup and a Warmoth '54 precision with a Sadowsky pickup and Raven Labs onboard preamp.
  2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Sounds like a nice rig! Personally, I prefer the combination of a 1x18 and a 4x10 over a 1x15 and 4x10 combo. I think the 15 and the 10's have too similar a frequency response.

While I really like my Carvin bass, I personally haven't played through any of the bass cabinets. I know a few local players who have carvin cabs and really like them.

If you're looking at buying the Carvin cabs new, they do have a 10 day return policy.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Carvin's bass cabs are considered to be the weakest link in their product offerings by many here. I'd recommend taking a look at the Avatar speakers, much better for a similar price.
  4. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I like my SWR 350 (non-x) it been my only head so far, but its got decent volume and I think the sound is better than carvin/peavey ,but not as good as eden etc...

good workhorse amp. I'd try aguilar or avatar before I'd go carvin IMHO.
  5. giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I played an Eden WT330 head hrough an Eden D410XLT on monday. I liked it alot but the price tag was about $1800 before tax. I did some research and found a fair amount of complaints about sudden amp failure so that concerned me a little.

I can buy the SWR head for under $500. I have heard nothing but praise for SWR. I think I am just going to buy it before it gets away and continue to search for cabs.
  6. How about SWR cabinets? I recently ordered a Goliath jr. and a s.o.b. after hearing them through my rig...a Peavey Max preamp. Really, you should try a bunch of brands before you decide. Do your homework first, if weight and size are an issue then keep that in mind. Petebass gives the best advice: listen with your ears, not your eyes.
  7. giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I researched the Avatar cabinets yesterday. Anyone here have the 210, 410 or 115?
  8. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I believe Avatar has a return policy as well, minus shipping costs.