Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Setup... or lack of setup.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Andrew Noury, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Disclaimer: Store names and instrument models are used as examples. Not as "all these are like this or these two stores are the root of this evil!!!"

I've noticed more and more with a lot of different instruments but mainly more mass-produced instruments like Fender's Standard/Am. Standard series but even on instruments like Modulus Q-series that the in-store setups are horrible!

I mean the setup on the instrument on the rack, not the usual setup you get to your specs. when you buy an instrument.

At both Long & McQuade and Steve's music in Ottawa there are many basses and guitars (I don't know about drums, keyboards etc.) that are setup horribly on the racks. HUGE neck relief, unreasonably high or low actions and pickup heights that are all over the place.

Is this common? I took a break from playing and hanging around guitar shops but don't recall this being noticable back then.

Does anyone know how this happens? Is it some store's policies, factory-specified settings or the infamous "Not Me" from Family Circus?

It felt horrible to try a Warwick that seemed to be setup worse than the tub bass I tried to make as a kid.

BTW: I do mean setups that *no* player would be likely to find comfortable. The kind you would expect if you soaked a bass in a tub of water then dried in a pizza oven... think really bad.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Could it be that during your break from visiting music stores you've become more attuned to what a good setup should be?? Making it more noticeable to you now?

I do know what you mean though... I could be that the guitars in these shops get played much more frequently than the basses, (and sell more, no doubt!), so they get more attention... I know that during my infrequent visits to GC, I am often the only bass player in attendance, and I am certain that there aren't too many sales people with real knowledge about bass gear, (in my area anyway)...

-robert