1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Setup Order

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by NikT2808, Oct 31, 2018.

1. NikT2808

NikT2808

Aug 10, 2016
    Greece
    Hello!

My double bass needs a new sound post and probably needs fingerboard dressing. I also want to change my strings, from Pirastro flexocore to flexocore deluxe. Do I have to change the strings or to set up my double bass first?

Thank you!

2. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    I would provide the unused set to the luthier and have him/her put them on after the job or do it yourself after. Taking strings on and off shortens their life.

I would urge you to have the soundpost adjusted with the strings that you wish to use as well rather than the luthier adjusting it with the old strings on.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    NikT2808 and Scott Lynch like this.
  3. In your case with strings of similar tension and stretch you might add the string last and let the soundpost adjusted afterwards (if need).
    If anyone changes to very different strings of stretch or tension that might influence bridge height (usually not a problem with adjusters, but important without them), so the new strings are needed if the new bridge height needs to be determined.

wathaet and NikT2808 like this.
  4. NikT2808

NikT2808

Aug 10, 2016
    Greece