1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Setup prices!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Stilettoprefer, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Normally I do my own setups, but my main bass has been needing a fret level and dress for a long time and other miscellaneous work, so I'm gonna turn it to a shop and get her a pro setup and such.

Is $150-200 reasonable for a fret dress, new nut, new truss rod nut and a setup? The shop I'm looking at is very highly regarded around here, it's "The twelfth fret" in Portland OR.

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    That sounds fair to me. That's a lot of work when done properly.

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

No reason these days a skilled luthier shouldn't charge a hourly rate commensurate with a car mechanic. Around here that's at least $50 an hour and that's cheap compared to urban centers.

4. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Yep.

5. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    +1

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I think that, every once in awhile, one should be willing to shell out for a truly professional-quality set-up - just to provide a solid baseline from which to perform more minor tweaks in future.

Ideally this should at least be done when the instrument is brand new - before you've even begun playing it. It might be done again in future - if & when the set-up ever becomes so screwed up, that you really need a pro intervention to sort it all out.

A good set-up is so crucial to the playability and performance of your instrument that it's hard to underestimate its full value. N00bs, take note: Don't scrimp on the set-up. It's just never worth it. :eyebrow:

MM

7. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    endorsing artist hard luck king guitars and knuckle head strings
    That's about what I paid for similar work.

8. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    It's a fair price, and with a good tech - worth every penny. I take my main players in once a year for a going over, tune-up (whatever you wish to call it). It allows me to keep them in optimum shape...even though I'm certainly confident with many adjustments and overall work. It also gives me input into new schools of thought and insight into what other players are doing to achieve a high level of tone and performance ;)

9. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Cool beans. Gonna take her in next week then!

10. offmyrocker

offmyrocker Guest

May 23, 2012
    New Jersey
    If $150 - $200 is norm for all that work, how much is the average cost of a basic set-up for a new bass like a squire vintage modified jazz bass? I didn't buy the bass yet and am totally new to bass (after I buy it, anyways)

11. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Basic setup should run you about $50 - $80

12. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Judging by my other thread, if necessary, what would be the price for fixing some fret issues and maybe some minor bridge/nut adjustments?

13. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    You posted the other thread and never answered my question. Now you've assumed that you need to have frets dressed, which may or may not be the case if you simply have back-bow.

Did you do the test I indicated?

14. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    I did, and I replied before I made that post. That's why I said "if necessary", as in the worst case scenario.

15. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    OK, if you can easily slide a business card in there (in other words, there is a slight gap between the string and the frets) and it stays, then your rod might be a bit tight but you do not have any significant back-bow and therefore it's likely that you need the frets worked on.

16. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    It may take a while to get your instrument back from them. Have heard some stories about unpolished scratches being left on necks from them, as well as other things.....but thats life in the repair world...

You would probably be better with East side guitar repair or a local builder. Most people who have visited them have returned with sparkling reviews.

17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

For a reputable tech, heck yeah, great deal!

18. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Thanks for the heads up! I'm gonna be out of the country for 10 days after I drop it at whatever shop I choose, so a wait isn't really a big deal for me haha. And neither are aesthetics, the bass is already beat to hell and grungy, but if somewhere else can do a better job at similar rates I'd be more inclined to go there. I'll probably take a day to check out 12th fret, the one you linked, and look up a couple more shops and pick whichever seems like the best fit for me. If they do a good job on the bass I have a telecaster that is way over due for some professional attention as well.

19. In San Francisco Bay area, a basic setup with new strings is around $70-90. Fret dress and new truss rod nut and new string nut install would be an extra $100.